Sunday, April 5, 2015

6571. WHAT THOM SAID

WHAT THOM SAID
Thom McGuane said they called the brothel out 
on the edge of town 'The Butt Hut.' I'll take his 
word for that, mainly because it sounds so right.
When they finally closed it down, those real-estate
people. as always goes, got their way. Listed it as:
'Home on the river; eight bedrooms, eight baths,
no kitchen. Changing times force sale.' Ain't that
to be a bitch? They buried the old owner, the madam,
Miriam Lawler, an overweight elder, in the wash dress
of a ranch wife beloved by many friends. All but one
of the girls dispersed, and left the town away.
-
That's where, to my hearing, the story ended. I never
heard no more  -   like who came back, or what they
did, or how one satisfies that 'itch', you know, once 
you've had it constantly, and then no longer. Not 
satisfied? Or do you not even notice? Them girls
I bet could'a told me. Now, even I'm all washed up
and just hanging around here thinking about some
fruity old Texas town of long, long ago.

No comments: