Friday, June 27, 2014

5520. I'M SORRY, BUT I ABHOR OPERA

I'M SORRY, BUT I 
ABHOR OPERA
Before the day is long, the long mornings shorten.
I see people singing while they do their chores  -
singing, in fact, about their chores. What is all that?
I hear them singing of larks and broken hearts, the
red sea and awkward virgins. They sing on horseback,
and in carriages. Like some inebriated parson in a country
church permeated by chemicals and coal gas, they all look, to
me, as drunks, and dumb as a stupor  -  crazed, berserk, the lot.
-
I'd rather sweep with sticks the czar's country lane than bend
my knee to one of these sick fantasies. Rich people who swoon 
cannot fall too soon   -   I want to be there when their revolution
rings its noisesome bell to take them down a notch. In fact, to tell
the honest truth, I'd like to be the one to do it, with a knife perhaps.

No comments: