Wednesday, June 4, 2014

5433. STORYVILLE

STORYVILLE
One of those festive places, famed and of
note  -  what? New Orleans, Louis Armstrong,
any of that? We cater to the maleficent among us,
wearing unarmed greatcoats and polished-high shoes.
The jack-skeeter on the trombone, the dice-man
on the high-hat and drums. I wouldn't know anything,
even if I knew everything. See how well it goes? The
caper of the masquerade, all over now and finished.
-
I learned my dread in 1965. Some schoolroom filled
with matter, and fluorescent late-night lights. I had
to live there, it would seem then, forever : those
prancing-beast priests with their immaculate concepts
and immaculate conceptions, pearling my hands like a
rifle butt, whipping me back with their big-strap
rosary beads, hanging like weapons on their
hips and sides. Belted garbs and cigarette men.
-
I'd see it all now in the new magic kingdom : I thrived
for you instead thinking of what a pussy was, how a
real girl would kiss, what the purpose of this man-thing
was. Mothers now, mothers I tell you : don't send your
kids away. A cloistered stall is a pigsty all.

No comments: