Friday, June 20, 2014

5494. SUBMARINE LOCAL

SUBMARINE LOCAL
(forgive me, Mabou Mimes)
I simply didn't know any better, had read no other scripts, 
saw no markings on any other bread wrappers. Now the 
cars and trucks were all lined up and right over my head. 
Rampways and Grand Central and going nowhere at all.
-
The girl I knew, the one who gave me coffee at Joe in
Grand Central, she was gone. She killed herself last Fall
and I still wince. Never got that far, there. On that one
I remained a stranger, a friend without a friendship, just
a nod and a hello. But I wished it different, ever so. And
now she's dead. Whatever to all that. It's old news and
it's all I know. Others had her closer. They failed as well.
-
My name is isn't a mention you'd know. And I really
much don't care. Every place I go, someone else has
already been there. In the quiet of the night  -  a real
gloaming  -  I've been stuck in something a very long
time. So long, I now forget it's all been over. Well
forgive me, Mabou Mimes.

No comments: