Sunday, June 8, 2014

5454. NEVER KNOWING

NEVER KNOWING
I read Hart Crane one night long ago  -  on a wharfside
dock long past the White Horse Tavern. I was thinking
of the sea and it just hit me  -  that forlorn feeling about
sad men and lonesome sailors and what-care-I for any 
of that? Hart Crane, for my heart's crane? There wasn't
any ringing meaning there for me  -  it wasn't in the
personality, just rather in the words. I stood as tall as
God for the reading : the final cascade, the Bridge,
and all that tunnel into day stuff. I loved; I hated, all 
at once. I was alone but I held crowds back  -  the 
sublime tunings of my hands, the caterwaul of the
Long Island Sound and the Carribean Sea all together.
Once, once, long ago we died; and once long ago
we each arose again  -  as timeless and limitless
poets, as inner Gods of the kingdom we guard.
Never knowing. 'The apples, Bill, the apples!'

No comments: