Monday, June 23, 2014

5506. MY REASON FOR BEING

MY REASON FOR BEING
Let me propose : it is all now lost in the glove,
as distant as a hand in an avalanche  -  that
snowy glide of the last thing you saw. Before
the mountain caved in. Before the whole world
went white. I have no index cards from the old days
to show  -  penciled-in info, penned explanations.
Nothing I can bring to the party that would help 
with the lighting. I've always been a latecomer, the
fireman on his probationary term, 6-months to learn
on the job. But  -  alas  -  too late for the fire; just
look at that pile of ashes where ten used to live.
Everything over and done : one hand in the 
gutter, the other on the rung. This ladder, 
buddy, goes nowhere. What men do 
now is no longer my concern.
-
How people consume their originations is
legion  -  the stuff of bibles and history.
Hannibal and Charlemagne dining out
with Alexander the Great.

No comments: