Wednesday, June 4, 2014

5434. SKYLINE

SKYLINE
(1967)
This skyline burps me as if I was 4 months old :
all that fissured and fractured fine-ness, me walking
cold streets in the doldrums of a November night.
I am errantly and forever alone, and this is my place 
and my tale of woe. I steal roasted chestnuts from
the vendor cart. I knock down a man for his wallet,
in a frenzy he howls, and I punch. He's on his way
to a Broadway play, no matter, too bad, my hunch.
Broadly, his wife screams out  -  I should but I
didn't. I let it all go instead. Still running. I pored
through dumpsters behind restaurants  -  to find 
better meals than a Kingster would have. Everything
there but the soup and the coffee. I am all that I survey,
and monarch of nothing at all. Myself and three old
grizzly men, cold hands and fingerless gloves, now
standing around a barrel rich with flames, get warm
from a barrel fire to haul us through the night. When
comes the light, the horses and their carts are out 
again. I will be served, and I will have nerve. The
only way to get a job around here  -  these old
untidy westside streets  -  is to take one. I tend
to horses, I sweep the wagon stalls, I refill the
chestnut carts. I rule this beggar's oasis like
now one has ever ruled it before. This
skyline makes me burp.

No comments: