Tuesday, April 30, 2013

4354. NO ONE IS FAR AWAY

NO ONE IS FAR AWAY
'All my future's behind me,' said Joe with a laugh. 'Might
go down to Perth Amboy, get me a job in a munitions
factory, but I'd rather be blowed up in the open, you see?'
Black dog barking, outside my door. Carmelita in her mantilla
lace, sucking on an orange ice. Outside, on the street, two buses
roll by, one behind the other, both marked for the exact same
destination. No one gets on; but then again, no one gets off.
'Tell them to all go take a flying Rimbaud at the moon.'
-
Well, I wonder. What I wonder is how to read a letter;
written in black ink, scrawled almost sideways on a piece
of scratchy old paper. Like a side of Kong, or something.
A long, wrangling letter, one written by Andretta. I knew
her once when her dog was King. That was long ago.
Times has passed; I don't owe her a thing.
-
Now listen here, old tidy cake. This is the telephone
they've invented  -  you've got to turn the crank, hold the
earpiece here, and  -  yes, yes, OK  -  talk into this
thing here; no, no NOT like that! Talk regular, no
one is far away. I tell you this  -  no one is far away!


No comments: