Monday, April 29, 2013

4351. WE WERE SAILING ALONG

WE WERE SAILING ALONG
To rid this narrow world of all that's in it - some
gambler's theft, some trick of trompe d'oeil, whatever
you say it is. It's all and it's real. ON MOONLIGHT
BAY. I never had the fever that comes with the
pox, but I could roll over, endlessly sick and feeling
bad. Simple as all that, I can be. YOU CAN HEAR
THE VOICES RINGING. Now, this ringing moonlight
stays behind; I watch the lunar calendar, if only to
see what I can recall of what went before this time.
Full moon from half moon, blazing to life. THEY
SEEM TO SAY. Light me up another one of
those blazing Winter-side fires so I can sit by
the flame and watch shadows. The bricks throw
off a smoldering heat. YOU HAVE STOLEN
MY HEART, NOW DON'T GO AWAY. The two
blind kittens the janitor brought in from the cold,
now he says they're not blind, just too young
yet to see. JUST AS WE SANG LOVE'S OLD
SWEET SONGS. I finally did think I understood.
ON MOONLIGHT BAY (on Moonlight Bay).


No comments: