Monday, April 15, 2013

4274. THE MAN WITH THE SEXTANT

THE MAN WITH
THE SEXTANT
(celestial navigation)
We broke up the crowd - swinging billy clubs
and fifteen policemen wading in had changed
our minds already - and led them off to the
mindless woods where we'd been hiding out.
It was a riot soon to break, and we had it all
on our hands if it did. Next would be water
cannons and then blood we knew.
-
The guy holding the mace tried calming this
beleaguered crowd : after all what they wanted
was bread and money, all those things under
his control. If only they knew the truth. He was
just as much a pauper as were they, and the
government army was soon to descend.
-
I've always hated kings and rulers. And to my
mind tulips never had any scent : none of that
floral stuff for me. Lines of descendency and
the divine right of kings - all the stuff I hated.
Determined by myself to be free, I swore the
age to be modern and secular as liberal
as could be. That was my fight.
-
I determined I'd die with the rest.
I knew the king's men had all
that zeal; better zeal than
I had anyway - though
not better than the best.

No comments: