Sunday, April 28, 2013

4347. NOT EQUIPPED TO RESUSCITATE THE DEAD

NOT EQUIPPED TO RESUSCITATE THE DEAD
I am not equipped to resuscitate the dead, and
I'm not sure I'd want to if I was. Better, perhaps,
to lead the mourning and let the chips fall where they
may instead. I am really not equipped to resuscitate
the dead. I have read the books and all those stories :
'Lazarus, arise!' and all the rest  -  that stinking foul
offal of garbage and dread, piles of bones and the
ranks of the dead  -  and think perhaps it would be
better just to walk off. Mourning and crying maybe.
Yes, that would do. We cannot re-write a chapter,
re-do the plot, re-order the ending. Everything we
live has a better logic of its own. The Union dead,
or all those Cossacks lying flat upon the field, those
hordes of Chinese warriors, those Arubic warriors
panting on the African steppes : simply let them be.
They have played their plot and run their races,
ended their goals and left their traces. What
care I for that? A better thing for one
man to do - just live morally, singular
and sole. Leave all the rest alone.

No comments: