Wednesday, April 17, 2013

4285. MANAHATTA

(MANAHATTA)
[-walt whitman's brooklyn ghost
at Pfaff's Manhattan-]
The way the water gathers in puddles,
the way the lark ascends  -  these are
items in my bag of vibrancies, my land
of blends, the character of this life indeed.
Nothing if not insuffereable, I have counted
 many characters in my one-time possee.
Yet, now again, they are all gone and we
have brought in really nothing wise at all.
Old memories that linger are just bad habits.
-
The Buddhist idea of God is of a being so
superior It thinks it doesn't have to exist at all,
or show itself, or leave a message or command.
That fits nicely, I know already, in my hand.
And then there are others  -  Gods  -  somehow;
the stern enforcers, the flame-throwers, the
Ego-Maniac self-centered ones. ("Jehovah?
He's under federal protection because he knows
too much"). Like Blake's Nobodaddy, truly
a roiling laugh a minute to behold.
-
I sit here wanting : I want a cup of coffee, I want
a fifty-dollar bill, I want a squeeze on your old
balloon, I want what's in your till.
-
These, these now are the things I've been reduced to.
Can you see my karma coming through? Do I have
a medical moment when even the doctor says 'cough'.
I hide my own intentions like the beads and wampum
of the Carnarsie Indians and the Dutch so long ago :
sitting as they were, flat-footed on a very watery
 island, but one which  -  from that very instant
on  -  alas, was just as doomed as me.

No comments: