Friday, April 19, 2013

4294. HERE HERE MY BURNT-EMBER DREAM

HERE HERE MY
BURNT-EMBER DREAM
OK so let me in : don't go the way of the wind.
Here I am, once again, knocking at your door
and bedraggled like a fop, a madman, a creature
known to roar, a sullen misanthropic thing looking
for some more. I've lost all memory of what I ever
did - anymore, anytime, anyhow. Read about me
in those yellow papers men once ran around with.
-
'Extra! Extra! read all about it!' - like the newsboys
used to say. Sit down with your cigar. Gobble up
my misadvenutres. For I myself must sit it out,
hiding in the wagon of the past, the coal-chute
of yesterday's ardor, the old ship's last mast.
I can't remember a thing, have no feel for the
past; so let me in, adventure man, tell me
what I did. Take me back, oh Wonder
Woman, I'm open for your bid.

No comments: