Thursday, April 18, 2013

4290. RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY IS AN ANCIENT ART

RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY
IS AN ANCIENT ART
My own heart may have been misplaced, or laced by
chance to somewhere in my arm or back. I don't know,
except that it still beats and hammers for things like
you : enameled and gilded statuary, the porcelain of
the finest things. In 600 B.C., Sushruta, a scholar from
Varnasi, made catalogue listings of over 300 things :
surgical procedures then known to be : 'a patch of
living flesh should be sliced off from the region of
the cheek and, after scarifying it with a knife, swiftly
adhered to the severed nose.' An ear, he also noted,
could be repaired in the same fashion.
-
Once I learned the rudiments of my own life, I
became protective of my limbs : even that fearsome
plow and blade, driven by slow oxen, I regarded as my
own farm-field threat - let alone that saber and lance
from all those errant soldiers and wild warriors of the
heath. Now, as I said, I am in possession of, somehow,
this misplaced heart which does not stop beating.
-
In 1557, Gaspar Tagliacozzi, of Bologna, understood
reconstructive surgery from a psychological perspective :
'We restore, repair, and make whole those parts which
nature has given but fortune has taken away; not so much
that they may delight the eye, but that they buoy up the
spirit and help the mind of the afflicted.' The Catholic Church
disagreed (oh yes, of course). It judged that he had been
tampering with the will of God and excommunicated him.
-
I may toy with my mind, but leave my body alone; or at
least those parts that do not somehow, in their own way,
demand my attention. I sin with my prod then? I alter
the fates of this world with my unit? Who knows or
cares of that? And would you wish to join me here?
-
Modern facial reconstructive surgery came about during
the First World War, to repair the devastating injuries
that resulted form mechanized warfare : The Third
London General Hospital opened a department, known
as the Tin Noses Shop, to build masks for soldiers
whose injuries could not be disguised by reconstruction.
'Extreme cases, generally, that plastic surgery
has, perforce, had to abandon.'
-
I, for one, am sickened by men - the legislators and
liars (Note how liars is cleverly hidden in legislators)
who do these things, cause these things to happen -
all while their own asses are well-covered. A fine place
for a skin graft, that buttock, from an asshole to a face
for men so cheap and without value as to be not living.
My own heart - no longer misplaced - has now
just been found anew.

No comments: