Monday, April 15, 2013

4275. ERECTING THE HUT IN THE WATER

ERECTING THE
HUT IN THE WATER
'No, no, you need solid ground; this isn't a raft
And you're not Huck Finn.' Does that sound
familiar? I just rolled away, hoping to float
downstream, house or no house; and it
never was meant as a refuge, just a hut.
I had hoped to see the world from my
10-year old perch. Hayseed local-river
small boy fool that I was.
-
You know how when people say things,
like 'the subway is not the underground',
what they mean is that names don't
necessarily tell the facts of a situation.
The subway is just that, an underground
rail. The 'underground' is something else:
my mayhem-memory tells me that.
-
Anyway, 'screw 'em all' I figured,
and I took off a'floating. I got as far
as my leaky mind would take me,
and then, God-damn, everything
sunk anyway and overboard I went.

No comments: