Friday, August 23, 2019

12,029. NOW THAT I'M DISENFRANCHISED

NOW THAT I'M 
DISENFRANCHISED
Now that I'm disenfranchised, I see
I never voted anyway. Looking through
my electoral scrapbook, all I keep seeing
are the old photos of pole-vaulting clowns
I used to always take. From Carlton Street
to 81st, those streets seemed filled with
them : red suits and jodphurs, shorts pants
or floppy shoes with broad pantaloons!
-
Reflections in the evening light, of ladies
passing building fronts and cars all twisted
with distortion; bent buildings and rippled
streets. That all this whole mess ever seemed
like anyway. I see things better now, being
disenfranchised as I am; and as I said.
-
It's in the mystery of deep, dark night
that I see things most clearly. I should
probably suggest they hold
voting at night.

No comments: