Monday, August 12, 2019

11,995. RUDIMENTS, pt. 776

RUDIMENTS, pt. 776
(pizza, american style)
I always felt 'this is how
to do it.' Basic bullshit,
done simple and simply
done. For me it was living
in a single house, with
whatever the old tile
was on the walls and
the simple bathroom.
It always drove me
crazy when I'd see those
others - people totally
redecorating, wanting
to have a new kitchen
installed, counter-space,
new cabinets, bathroom
vanities, retro ceiling fans.
That all made me heave.
It had nothing to do with
real life at all and only
served to obfuscate the
purposes and reasons
for what we all were
supposed to be living.
Talk about side-road,
off-the-track, detours.
That kind of thought
could ruin a person's
life; off-track it
totally.
-
Back in the 1970's anyway,
that was mostly suburban
stuff; the geeky kind of
things people did who had
no solid connection to
anything real anyway;
except maybe their cars
or families and homes.
Grass, entry lanterns, and
the rest of all that. Country
folk, and Elmira folk, didn't
much have those concerns;
certainly not the space-cadets
who lived in the deep parts
of nowhere. That Jennings
guy, if he ever had a cathedral
ceiling room with open rafters,
he'd simply be thinking of who
or what he could string up there.
Poverty and want and anger are
all pretty basic and they usually
go together. I'd come back, here
and there, to visit home, or see
NYC, and all I'd notice, around
Avenel, would be all these
previously marginal types all
of  a sudden getting pretentious
and overdone about home
improvements, marble counters,
bamboo floors, etc. Things that
were so foreign to anything I'd
ever known or cared about that
I couldn't even find a genesis
for how it took place. Where'd
that strange disease get started?
-
Where I was living then, right
up through the raw countryside
and farmlands, all the way up
to Ithaca and the Finger Lakes,
it was poor, fringe stuff. Like that
barn with the clown-face painted
on the side. Every sort of run-down
building, farm, barn, or house,
had 10-year old for sale signs
on them. Hand-painted. Having
a real-estate agent was exclusive
stuff; the big, fancy farms could
do that, but mostly out in the
deep nowhere they didn't do
that. They'd just hang a sign,
and say, 'C'mon over, we'll talk.'
Any fanciful notions about
redecorating or doing the rooms
over was way out-of-focus stuff.
Over in Colonia NJ, for some Falk
guy, my brother-in-law at the
time was selling real estate. He
was always ready, whenever I
visited, too make the case how
I should move back, show me
houses, talk it all up. I used to
ride around if he had something
to show me. I'd see all sorts of
'desirable' houses of the day,
back then, but nothing held my
attention. There was one house,
on Dewey Drive, in Colonia,
that we got interested in, but
it was all pre-improvements
and they sort of didn't wish to
sell it as-is unless we had
promises and plans for
fully updating the old place.
Why that was their concern
was beyond me, but that's
suburban NJ, I figured. That
 sure was an odd one. We let
it go; knowing we didn't really
want to move back anyway.
That was 1976. We went to
California instead, to check
that out. That's when that
Chinese girl screwed up the
house-sitting and watching
our dog  -  written about in
the previous chapter.
-
If I drive down Dewey Drive 
now, I can't really even locate 
which house it was  -  someone 
has, truly, done it over. The house 
I looked at just isn't there any
more. The 1920's version of 
vertical and stucco house, 
cramped, poorly window'd, 
and with an old, stucco finish 
has been  replaced with some 
modern wonder.  Ugly as all
get-out;it probably has a
revolving mirror in each
bathroom; talk about 'vanity.'
-
No matter any of that, that was
all New Jersey stuff and at that 
period of my life I was very far
removed from it. I kept learning
funny things, more and more
amazing. Perhaps you remember
the cranky father-in-law over
at Warren's house  -  the guy
who told me about the tarring
of the road for the WPA project
that kept so many of these farmers
alive back in the Depression, the
same guy who used to rant on
about the TV always being on and
the heat and wasted power it
generated. He told me, one time,
way back, in those parts when 'pizza'
was something new to any of them,
-  (he'd also looked me over one time,
quizzically, and said 'We don't
get so many Eye-talians up here')  -
that when they were first introduced
to it, a few of those farm guys, they
learned of it as pizza PIE. Being 
farm-boys,  he said, 'when the
guys ever ate pie, we always
put ice cream on it, a big dollop
of vanilla. Se we did. It tasted
terrible and started melting too.
We just all said, 'What is this crap?'
That's how he got introduced to
pizza, America style, I guess.
-
Funny things like that used to
keep me in good stead, up there.
As I said, I'd initially arrived in
a 1962 VW, which ran fine, and
I kept it a good while; having
removed all the seats except for
the driver's, I'd drive around 
everywhere and keep it filled up
with firewood. Anyway, when
it was still a regular car, no one
up there had much seen one, and
it was a huge novelty  - except
the kids kept calling it 'Herbie'
or a 'punch buggy.' I couldn't
for the life of me figure that
out, until someone later told 
me it was a Disney movie or
something. 'Disney movie?
We don't see much of that in
these parts...'  I should
have said that.



No comments: