Friday, August 9, 2019

11,978. THE WHOLE NINE YARDS

THE WHOLE NINE YARDS
I was having a beer, by myself,
in a place called The Whole
Nine Yards. Some pretty girl
walked over to me and asked
who I was, hadn't she seen me
before? She named a name of
some band I'd never heard of;
a Grateful Dead cover band,
she said, that travels all around
always. She named some guy
I was the spitting image of.
'Hmmm,' I said, I don't spit
much. You must have good
eyes.' She thought that was
hilarious, and really had a
laugh. I told her I once knew
a band called 'World Within'
that did the very same thing.
Dead cover band, traveled all
around. She'd not heard of them.
So I said, 'Well then, what good
are we, each to the other? Here,
let me buy you a drink.' She
said Ok, and sat down,
-
It was fun. Her father had 
owned a Caddy dealership out 
Long Island way. She'd lived 
pretty well, as a'kid, but said 
it was boring as hell and, as
soon as she could, she left 
home. I kind of wondered
what she meant, and said,
'How old were you when you
 left?' She said 'Nineteen.'
That didn't seem so bad, 
for leaving home. I said I'd 
thrown my kid out when 
he was twenty-four. But it 
wasn't far, just maybe five
miles away. She said, 'You
threw him out?' I said, 'No,
I didn't mean it that way; I
found him another place to 
live. We set him up somewhere 
else, with his girlfriend. It
was too crowded in that
little house, and I got tired 
of hearing all that stuff.'
-
She laughed at that too.
And then we were done.
There wasn't much else to 
do. I was old enough to
be her father.

No comments: