Wednesday, August 7, 2019

11,966. RUDIMENTS, pt. 770

RUDIMENTS, pt. 770
(farm field and glory....or not)
Have you ever just sat 
around and made stuff up? 
To pass the idle time while 
you're working or at some 
task  -  I used to do that, 
never understanding how 
it all got started that 
mankind took it upon 
itself the idea of chaining
people to jobs, making 
their heads have to stay 
vacant, while they worked
at some sort of manufacture
of beads or baubles. Machine 
shop guys, up at Elmira, were 
usually Germanic, tough and 
grumpy, and they'd dig down, 
right into their task, never 
interrupting for a minute the
slide-rule and fractional
measurements and calculations
needed for the grinding 
and cutting they had to do. 
They never complained,
but I never saw happiness 
either. It seemed as if they
were willingly ruled by
machines, and set to their
tasks without happiness..
Farmers, of course, as I 
said, they were always 
'chained' as well, to their
tasks  -  which at least involved
living, breathing, animals. Life. 
To me, that had to make a 
difference, sad as it sometimes 
got to see something die that 
was alive just before. I never
saw a block of steel expire. 
Did I?
-
It always struck me, in the 
new midst of all that farm 
equipment and machinery, 
everything powered and
running under gas or diesel,
why it worked out that I was
born in such a machine age. I'd
never asked for that; it was all
strange and annoying to me,
alien and distant. I didn't like
the noise, or the power. Riding
a tractor sometimes felt like
running a chainsaw blade along
my chin. I didn't like any of that,
and anything I did like was
because I was able to connect it
to the past. Not a future. It was
all backwards and out of place,
as was I. I wanted old, and wood,
and hand-operated, and slow. The
only results I wanted were the
ones that withstood the power
of the present and stayed solid
and traditional in spite of it.
Yet, everywhere I turned I was
led to production, speed, and
efficiency. Boy I hated all that.
-
I had to stay pretty quiet about 
any of that stuff. My thoughts
were OK for me, but they sure
didn't travel well. When I was 
young, I was able to recall, my
father was always talking about
oddball things I never understood.
But they were all ass-back simple 
too; nothing deep or philosophical.
The words he used  -  up against
my new and present words of farm
implements and machinery and
repairs  -  I found, were the same
words these guys were using:
Cotter pins; kingpins; ball joints,
universals. It went on from there;
solid words, I guessed, for solid
things. I still found myself confused.
It was all crazy : when you go to 
a big-deal party, it's a 'ball.' So
why wasn't a 'ball-joint' then a
'dance-hall' instead of a mechanical 
reference?'  I wondered, did
those guys ever think that stuff,
did it ever cross their minds?
The word 'clutch' too. I thought
it was a wonderful word. As 
descriptive of what it was as to 
what it actually did. One side
of the powerplant was engine, 
and the other end was the 
transmission. They couldn't
always be running together,
otherwise you'd never get to
stop. So the 'clutch' was the
mechanism for separation of the
two  -  when you wished to be
in neutral, changing gears, it
separated things, and when you
wished to go it 'clutched' the
one to the other  -  sweet word  -
unifying them, mating them,
joining them, so the power from
one, by being clutched, could
turn into power for the other,
and have your vehicle move.
Pretty ingenious. And an
ingenious and basic use of 
words as well. Clutch.
-
My mind was filled with crap
like that amidst the drudgery
too of milk pails, cows, and 
pans. I dug using the old trucks,
and the assorted tractors that
were all around  -  each was
different. Yet, again, in their
own respects, they were but 
machinery, the present and 
the now. I still sought the old.
Yet, I admit to enjoying the feel
of the Massey-Fergusen we had.
Tractors each had their quirks.
It was 'old' and heavy, deliberate,
cranky like an old guy. There
was also an 'Oliver'  -  another 
brand  -  that was a much
more sportier-seeming model,
light on  the touch, speedy,
always ready to pace. The Fords
and Fordsons around, they were
all business, almost deary and to
task. I could hear them : 'Tell me
what we need to do today, show
me the schedule and let's get
to it...' They were sour, and yet
based on service. The John
Deeres were the traditional 
workhorses, powered and 
powdered and each, always
and but a key-turn away.
There were other brands and 
names too  -  each brand had
its own color; you could tell
what they were, immediately, 
by shape and form and color.
These were all old tractors, mind
you, early 1950's, or mid; not
much newer than that. They were
open to the elements, had rude
metal seats, not always sprung.
Most of them had this weird
little exhaust-tip flapper, at the
end, that slapped around, open 
and close, making a little, metallic,
noise, responding to acceleration
or slow down. Instrumentation 
was nil, or bare. As driver or
rider you were exposed to
everything  -  sun, heat, rain,
hail, wind, debris. You had to
check your own gas-level,
mostly, and listen to the groan
and spit of the engine. They
seldom overheated, but they
did, and you needed to watch.
Paltry temp-gauges and the rest
were never worth relying on;
if the cover glass wasn't broke,
then the gauge itself was. At the
rear, where you sat, driving, the
big, tall, rear wheels were up
almost to ear height, right outside
your head. And fenderless.
And then, yes, the newer model
tractors started being seen. They 
were crazy  -  the average poor
farmer guy with maybe 250 acres 
or so, was poor and had no use
anyway for such massive tractors.
And they still called them tractors!
They were made, really, for the
large agri-business well-organized
and often consolidated farms of
big acreage and big production.
A person couldn't drop that kind
of money, and defend doing so, on
the small-scale kind of undertaking
they had. The new tractors (and
I'm talking now of the mid-1970's,
at most  -  it's all changed again
since) had enclosed cabs, keeping
the drivers protected, higher up,
in temperature control, AC, and
radio too! Turn signals, often! A
complete bevy of gauges, and 
some had communication modules
for contact and messages to other
tractors or back to the home-base 
barn! It was all truly another world
getting started there too, and I had
and wanted none of it.
-
Some days, when it was rainy or
something, when things slowed 
down, I'd review a lot of this, in
my head, and write some down
too. Fascinating stuff, and all I
ever did was realize  -  in spite
of trying to learn, in spite of my
lame upbringing and all my
recent adventures and NYC
stuff  -  how little I knew, really,
about anything. The one day it
really hit me, I'd realized how I
still couldn't explain the difference
between Atlas and Hercules. The
story-lines, the myths, which one
had the globe on his back, or
whatever it was, and who had
the pillars and the rest. I knew I
didn't HAVE to know, but I sure
as hell wanted to. It had to be a
better crunching than any of that
work crap every day; farm-field
and glory, or not.


No comments: