Thursday, August 15, 2019

12,003. RUDIMENTS, pt. 778

RUDIMENTS, pt. 778
(while the water's running)
Every once in a while there'd
be some problem  -  the roof
would suddenly leak, or the
spring water pump in the
basement would seize up; a
vacuum leak, whatever. I'd
have to stumble downstairs
and prime it  -  at first it
horrified me, thinking that
I needed to do that, and
then it became second nature,
even in the dead of night.
The slow progress of the
loss of pressure  -  which
could be tracked if I watched
the gauge, would get quicker
and quicker, and then once it
lost pressure, there'd be no
water until primed and again
brought up to the right number,
I think it like 45 psi, or one
of those numbers there, that
would give good faucet pressure.
It would also generate a horrid,
humming noise from in the
basement; which is how I
heard it each time, and tended
to it. Of course, until I got it
fixed; and we had two of them,
so I had to tend both. A real
pain, but cheap. Eventually I
fully replaced one, and the
other got much better with
new, rubber seals and all,
which I, surprisingly, did
myself. As far as water went,
it was good  -  fresh and cold,
from a hillside spring that was
rigged up by these pumps, a
holding tank, and a few pumps,
to take care of a regular household.
Except when my family came
up. All those kids with their 20
minute showers and bathrooms
and dishes and washing and all
that kitchen-water use, it would
run us down, deplete the reservoir.
Then there'd be no water for 6 or
so hours while the tank refilled
from the natural running of the
spring. Believe me, there wasn't
anything bucolic or anything else
about it. As a water system, it
stunk. Anyone seeking steady
regularity of the water supply
would have gone mad. It got
so eventually, that when I was
told my parents wanted to
come up, I'd go to the creamery
and they'd allow me about 10
milk cans, filled with their
water, for as much as I wanted;
so I just would keep refilling
by hand the holding tank, and
take back the empties and get
some more. They were nice
about it, and it worked all
around. My father hated it
all; he wanted a well-dug
but seemed to think that
would be free. I never got
that done  -  money again.
There might have been plenty
of water around, but you never
knew. If it didn't strike, they'd
just keep digging, and it was
each foot expensive after a
while. I know some guys who
said there wells were 800 or
1200 feet in. Not for me,
thanks. The problem with
my father's thinking always
had to do with his bull-headed
obstinacy about demanding 
things. From only his point
of view, of course. I could
never get it across to him that,
unless they were up here,
using up all that water, this
was NOT a normal problem.
Oftentimes, he was the cause
of his own frustration and
grief. And the other thing was,
he'd come up for a visit, and
in whatever amount of time it
was, 3 days, 5 days, just step
in and try to 'suburbanize'
my whole operation  -  as if
it was his, and as if it had to
look like some Avenel
bunghole property : trimmed,
cut, painted, neatened up, 
things moved about, and all
other evidences of any real
life removed into some sort
of fairy-land of cool clean
suburban asshole life. He
used to drive me plum crazy.
Ladders and riggings, of his
own devise, so he could go
up 14 miles high, to scrape
and paint the highest peaks,
all in the name of looks  -
fresh paint, no chipping. 
Those places hadn't seen 
a visitor since 1954, up
on those peaks, etc., and
the old, ancient wood, as
wood does, had dried and
hardened so it was no longer
at all soft or porous; more 
like stone or slate now, and 
weather- resistant on its 
own. And who the hell cared
anyway? Not me. Next he'd
be wanting the driveway and
rear-yard and barn areas paved
because they got muddy. Like
it was the damned Avenel
First-Aid squad or something.
Heck, mud and country went
together like, well like, hops
and beer, or man and woman.
Something; but try telling Dad.
-
I never got too excited about
anything, figuring that whatever
it was that would occur, I had
it coming. It was my situation,
after all  -  no one had pushed
me (us) into it. I had willingly
checked the box, twice now,
marked 'stranger in a strange
land.' My intentions were to
remain strong and forward
looking, do things in some sort
of right sequence, keep one foot
in front of the other, and stay
strong. The roof only leaked
once; I tarred that up OK, and
that was that. The water deal
I learned to handle. Two other
problems with it, I guess I should
mention, were that  -  as a spring  -
it was seasonal. It would happen
that, by the long, hollow days of
mid-August, if dry and parched,
the spring ran itself down to a
mere trickle. It never died, but
it trickled. And, also, in that
holding tank, (I seldom
inspected it except for water
level, with a quick look-see),
we'd get newts, frogs, and
even  thin water-snakes
scurrying around. The flow
pipes were filtered at the ends,
but still....I always had the
madcap image, as in some
childhood memory of a Farmer
Brown cartoon or something,
of frogs and things coming
out of the faucet, slithering
into the sink, sliding all over
the floor, and making just horrid
scenes. It was more nightmare
than it was cartoon, but that's
the way the alien brain works.
And all this was, at first, surely
alien to me.
-
The other thing was, in the
situation I'd gotten myself to,
I couldn't much care about
'progress' or advancement. I
was there by choice, fleeing 
to an escape, hiding out for 
a while, laying low, in the 
parlance of the jackal. Each
time I signed my name for
something, I had to worry.
'Where's the bank go with
this info?' What about motor
vehicles and my info for
getting new car-tags (in
Pennsylvania they call 
them 'tags' not license 
plates). Does someone
review all this crap? This
was way before computers,
in fact, in 1974, when the
guy in Elmira at Marine
Midland Bank first reviewed
my money situation, he
introduced me to credit 
cards. They were brand 
new at the time, and I got 
a very early, common-man's
version of a Marine Midland
MasterCharge. (They didn't
start using Mastercard until
re-named some years later. It 
was always 'MasterCharge').
-
The point was, so much to see
and experience, but none of it
vicariously  -  rather, I had to
watch and learn for what was
coming, and take from each of
those experiences anything new
and vital that would keep me
going within the new situation.
Some times I just took it on
the chin; other times I came
out smelling like a rose (but I
had to keep Dad from cutting
it back).



No comments: