Thursday, August 1, 2019

11,954. RUDIMENTS, pt. 764

RUDIMENTS, pt. 764
(in the night kitchen...) pt. One
When you gather up the
great highway that propels
us along, it just keeps on
going, no matter. One of
my first, late-at-night trips
out to Columbia Crossroads,
in fact the night I myself
moved up there alone, I
being yet totally unfamiliar
with the area, was constantly
getting disoriented and
surprised. I was alone; it
was like 2 or 3am. As dark
as real black can be, and
I was driving along on roads
I was unsure of. I had a '62 VW.
I was, maybe, doing 65 or 70
and just hoping the car wouldn't
blow-up until I got to where
I was going, or close. What
threw me off, first and foremost,
was when I sped past a roadside
sign, on the side of a long,
up-inclining hill with a twist,
was that the sign read, 'Welcome
to Wyoming County.' It was mid
January, freezing cold, the
car had marginal heat (apt for
old Beetles, nothing much you
could do about without a real
blower system and water/coils),
and that sign threw me! Wyoming
County? What the heck? Where
was I and how far afield had
I gone. The whole idea threw
me into a sot of Twilight Zone
fright, but I soon pulled out of
it. Another sign a little later said
'Road maintained by Wyoming
County, PA, Road Dept.' So,
whew, thought I, I must have
missed something along the
way  -  that whole 'Wyoming'
thing, for Pennsylvania. What
was equally strange, and which
only added to the confusion, was
that there was also a 'Lycoming
County.' These were all things
I'd need getting used to.
-
Whatever these places were,
they've stayed with me now a
long time - I still have these
enormously twisted dreams
of back-roads and short-cuts
to get me there, over some
strange hill, occasionally
lined with what amount to
out-of-place houses, manors,
shacks, estates, all hugging
some weird shoreline up and
down this route. It's all in a
crystal-clear daylight, and
through interesting high woods.
I these dreams I'm on some sort
of a time-schedule to get where,
I'm going, to, or from this place.
Essentially it's all Columbia
Crossroads to Avenel, and back
and forth, somehow. The whole
270 mile trip, still long and
formidable, but made bearable
by some sort of short-cut. It's
all odd, and just makes me wake
up and want to get rolling.
Wyoming or not.
-
Since those days, I've always
figured there to be duplicate
worlds, at least for me, because
I could not possibly have lasted
through all the changing
environments I've put myself
through. There's no other way
around it; these things all
occurred at once, and only
my slicing of the each bit of
the overall reality brought me
these smaller pieces, illusionary
as they may have been, presented
at 'one' at a time pacing. It's the
only explanation my knowing
soul has ever had  -  and it does
explain a lot of things  -  but it
still makes me out as nothing
but a failure. And now, this late
in a fading life (mine) I'm
suddenly at the mercy of this
wicked, Godless, unknowing
world that I have nothing to do
with. That's where the 'failure'
part comes in, because my
entire theory has always been
that I DO have something to
do with everything. So, you see,
I've even shot my own self
in the foot with all that.
-
I had a little puppy with me too,
one I'd picked up at the old
Kindness Kennels in Rahway
just before I left. I named him
Bill, which later became 'Super
Bill' because of the vigorous
ways he had of chasing cars
up and down out dirt road. I'll
probably start tearing up here,
because that's how he died too,
a few years later, out on the main
road. Country dogs just don't
have limits, and don't understand
bounds, and out-of. That nearly
killed me too. I felt I'd let him
down by not being around. All
my farm dogs just got used to
being free. Anyway, the whole,
cold, trip, Bill was in my coat,
cuddled and warm. When we
finally got to the farmhouse,
first light of morning he woke
up and acted like it had been
his home forever.
-
That was the complete opposite
of me  -  seeing the place, in the
cold, from the inside out. That
first night was strange. It was
cold, the darn house hardly
heated at all. That was to be
immediate problem #1. And then,
in the cold, morning, light of day,
looking around, I basically just
said to myself,  'Oh, shit; this
place is a wreck.' By that time
it was mine already, signed,
sealed and legal, and I had little
choice but to make a go of it.
Just as it was. Immediately,
there was a tone of Zen-like
acceptance of everything, as I
internalized my situation and
began  -  instead of griping and
worrying  -  accepting it. The
strife and the struggle of here
second-guessing myself would
cause nothing but more anxiety,
and the actual open-air beauty
of the world around me was able
to have me overcome everything.
I was stunned  -  by the silence,
the isolation, the cold, white and
crystal beauty of the Wintry
landscape. The long, wide vistas
were to me stunning; I'd never
seen (nor had) anything like
this before. All worries aside,
I was able to live in a glory I'd
never known.
-
I checked : The house had its
running water; the toilet flushed;
the chimney wasn't clogged, so
I'd not be asphyxiated; Billy
the dog had found, already, a
few favorite spots; The semblance
of an 'electric' stove worked.
Those red-coiled burners were
nasty looking when fired up,
and (fortunately) I found they
also threw off a bunch of heat,
if needed. Outside, the air
smelled like pine trees and
fresh purity. The quality of
the outdoor sound was amazing.
A massive, long silence, the kind
you experience when watching
a leaf fall from a tree, flipping
and twisting on its quiet way
down. The dirt road had no
traffic at all; nothing. A distant
ways off, the paved road (to
Warren's house), if there was
a car on it, could be heard
by a slight hum of tires on 
roadway. Everyone on it
drove nutso-fast. (Alas, as
Billy would learn far later).
Nutso-fast is the opposite of
not-so-fast. Dammit.
-
You know how daylight makes
everything look different; things
you saw in the darkn'ing glimmer
of dusk, looking alright, in the
bright definition of day are seen
for and with all their flaws  -  the
peeling, the scratches, the cracks.
The place had no real floor to
speak of in the kitchen  -  the 
1940's linoleum and tile was
cracked, curled, torn off, and,
at one section, yes, there was
an actual hole through to the
under the house part. That was
going to be immediate problem
#2. Behind the kitchen, and this
was pretty cool, was like a
whole other part of the house 
but not part of the house. It was
more like a pantry, or Summer
kitchen or something (old farms
had them). At the back of that
was also the door and stairway
for that part of the basement,
which was huge. There were,
in addition, two more levels of
'upstairs'  - nothing special, just
large square rooms, each with one
or two large windows looking out
over spreads of open land and trees.
It all made everything worthwhile.

(next...pt. TWO)..









No comments: