Friday, August 30, 2019

12,048. RUDIMENTS, pt. 793

RUDIMENTS, pt. 793
(the slow burn)
There used to be a guy named
Edgar Kennedy, in films of the
1930's, late era, I guess. His
specialty was the 'slow burn.'
That was about it, he wasn't
goo for much else; no emoting,
no drama. He was simply this
half-comedy guy they'd throw in
whenever they needed someone
of his character, for comic-relief,
or some repeated side-reference
by the camera within the film.
The idea of the slow burn was
the accumulated frustrations 
of small annoyances slowly 
building until this Kennedy
guy would crack  -  evidenced
by the grimacing and contortions
of his face, and then the explosive
give-out of frustration and ire.
It was funny to watch, though
it became soon predictable,
and then mannered, and 
boring. Such is fame  -  and
anyway he made an entire
career out of it.
-
Sometimes I could envisage
myself getting like that; but
it never really happened. I
always managed to keep things
in check. One time, living in
Elmira, there was a whole
rash of occurrences on a three
day Memorial Day weekend,
that almost drove me nuts, but
I just laughed it off. A friend
and his girlfriend, both living
in the San Francisco area -  
actually a weird little town
called Benicia  -  called one
day. It was a Weds. evening,
as I recall, with the Memorial
Day weekend a few days away.
They were calling from some
diner somewhere, about 100
miles away. They'd been driving
cross-county, had their dog
with them (an Irish Setter, a
breed you don't much see 
anymore. Funny how breeds 
lose favor, fall off the radar, 
and fade. Like Afghan Hounds
too  -  never much seen now).
They asked if they could stop
over, re-group, stay a few days,
and then figure out what to do.
We said, sure, OK. Got some
food and wine and stuff, knowing
already what they liked. He was
kind of one of those wine-snobby
guys: Napa Valley influence, and
all those California wines. Always
going on about dryness, after taste,
slate-echoes, remnants of fruity,
all kinds of wine-junk. To bug 
him, I used to put my ear to the
wine glass, and say things like,
'Yes, yes, definitely, I can hear
it too!'
-
So, they arrived. They were
driving a maybe 1965 International
pick-up trick, all packed up for a
cross country drive. Bench seat,
dog snuggled in too. Once they
arrived, they didn't look much
worse for wear; certainly not
traveled-out, as I'd soon learn.
Weds. finished up, they bedded
up for some rest. Early the next
morning, I hear the garbage men
outside, apparently having a 
rollicking good time over the truck
in front of my house. I could
understand, a bit  -  people in
Elmira didn't see much out-of-the-
ordinary stuff. The truck was all
loaded up and packed for overland
travel, thereby looking a tad
safari-like, but what had caught
their attention was the water-bag 
on the front bumper. I forget what
it was called, Camel-Pouch or
something. People used them
for cool water, as and if needed,
for the trips over the Rockies.
Like an emergency pouch of
water,  10 or 20 gallons maybe,
if and when needed. It was a lined,
heavy canvas, and had a bold, 
reddish image of a nice-looking
camel (logo) on it. I thought 
it was neat, but it threw these 
garbage guys over the edge, 
laughing, and at 6:30am too.
-
Well anyway, we hung out, 
went over to the College, got 
some food, drank some wine,
talked travel sights, cars; the
two females enjoyed it all, as
did all of us. The Red Setter,
however, another story. My 
dog was OK with it all, but 
their dog was nuts. Probably
travel-crazy by that time. 
They were in the yard, the two
dogs, plenty of room to roam.
But the setter was bizarrely
out of control, barking, yapping,
snarling along the fence, etc.
So my friend tied him up,
with about 8 feet of rope, to
a sapling type tree we had
back there, probably 8 or 10 
years old. We went inside to
eat (mealtime) and when we
got back outside, that little tree
was nowhere to be seen, except
for some sheared and torn
remnant of a trunk sticking
just barely out of the ground.
The dog had calmed down
nicely, however, and the two
were just laying there, resting
near to each other. He'd thrashed
it, ripped right from the ground.
-
My friend get the bright idea
(Travel-weary ? not him), that
after a night's sleep what he'd
most like to do  -  with us along  -
is set out the next morning,
early, (that's 2 dogs, Kathy and
our son, him, and his girlfriend)
for Niagara Falls, (some 400 miles
off, I'm guessing, northwest. Look
at a map), see the Falls, visit the
Canadian side, get back in the
car (my car; we were to use my
large wagon, since we needed
the space), and then continue,
for the remainder of the weekend,
to NYC, and then back. Well, 
hot damn, thought I, if that
isn't a tall order. I asked a few
questions  -  lodging, money, etc.,
but he was ahead of me and
had it all figured out. Parent's
house in NJ, to provide all.
So, yeah, we got it rolling.
-
Later that day, whatever time it 
was, we got to Buffalo. Into
some park, with a picnic area.
This guy was fastidious about
eating, lunch, wine again, etc.
We got to some picnic section,
got a table, and he brings out
from one of his bags in my car,
his Coleman camper-stove! Some
Campbell's beans cans, a cold
package of hot dogs, and rolls,
and all the other little junk 
needed. We had a pretty nice
little lunch there, dogs rolling
about, everyone happy. Then
his dog goes wild all over again,
and takes off after some father
and young-son team walking
along. Not biting or anything,
but running, noisy, and all
needed for scariness. He bowls
right into the little kid, sending
the tyke sprawling. The kid's
wailing, the father's gone ballistic,
and the battle-lines were drawn.
I just stayed there, enjoying
my hot dog, while the California
guy was over there calming all
this down and trying to placate
the flaming dad. The ladies too
went over, to sooth the poor,
scared kid. My son and I just
sat there, licking mustard, as it
were, with our own dog in place.
-
It all got straightened out; no
police, no anger, no damages.
Back into the car. Getting lost
in Buffalo, by the way, is a
bummer. We finally made it
out OK, and got to the Falls, 
American side. They wouldn't
let us over the bridge, ID's and
all were OK, but the dogs were
somehow not worthy of Canada.
No inoculations, no doggie
paperwork, whatever. I didn't
care; the Falls already bored me.
I hate all that rainbow-misty
postcard junk. My friends, 
however, were determined. 
They said we could walk over 
the bridge, but no dogs. (Walking
to Canada had always  -  you
understand  -  been one of my
life wishes; Not). So, we park 
in the American side parking 
lot and (against my better
judgment) leave the dogs in 
the car, suitably ventilated, 
and it wasn't warm out, etc. 
(and back then people weren't 
so crazy about all that stuff 
anyway). We walked the 
bridge over to the Canadian 
side; went to the misty falls;
saw the old generating stations;
the Midway of Junk the Canadian
side had going  -  wax museum,
cotton candy, clowns, trinkets,
sno-globes, Niagara Falls underwear,
you name, they probably had it.
I'd about had it by then; I'm 
guessing, two hours, maybe an 
hour and a half  -  and we still 
had a long way to drive.
-
We got back to the car. My 
dog was soundly asleep in the
rear, station-wagon portion. The
setter, however, had torn up
the seat, gnawed the corner
of the dashboard, whatever that
plasticy stuff was they'd started
using back then instead of metal,
and, apparently, pawed something
apart underneath the dash. Ha. Ha.
I tried laughing it off, but was pissed.
The car started, we managed to get
heater tubes back on (he was a car
mechanic, by the way), and together,
nothing was leaking, and all seemed 
good enough.
**pt two next; across the state, eastward,
to NYC, and NJ too! (American side).




No comments: