Monday, August 12, 2019

11,999. LONG COUNTRY ROAD

LONG COUNTRY ROAD
It's a long country road where I'm
going; out along Route 6, across
the great divide, between tobacco
and a load of tea. I'll park over
there at the shoulder, just to sleep
till daybreak wakes me up. And
then I'll move along again.
Tobyhanna? Marshall's Creek?
Taughannock? Bremertown too.
Any one of those names will do.
-
There's a caseload of books in
that old guy's trash; I asked him
why  -  he said he's throwing out
everything, before he dies, that he
hasn't read. Doesn't wish for the
leaving of things behind.
-
I said, 'Did you know there's a
song, by Dylan, called, 'I Can't
Leave Her Behind' - and when I
first heard it I was heartily put
out. Someone then had to tell
me it wasn't meant to be about
sex; just more about emotion.
-
Piles and mounds of this meaning:
It's still a long and country road
to where I'm heading, and I'm not
turning back. Got two loaves of 
bread in the back here; all's I
need to do is find something to
put between them  -  the slices
I mean, not the loaves.

No comments: