Wednesday, August 7, 2019

11,970. RUDIMENTS, pt. 771

RUDIMENTS, pt. 771
(fill 'er up)
I was never much of a stickler
for clothes. Fashions and
styles always eluded me and
I never cared. The good thing
about the way I'd been living
was that neither did the streets
and marginals I lived with and on,
care. That was good  -  even better
was getting way up to the country
where no one gave two second's
thought to any of that. A farmer's
way of life was his clothing. You
could dig down twenty miles and
you'd still never find any of that
later-style Ralph Lauren high
fashion rural wear crap that his
models and stores and ads
portrayed. They must have
been crazy. A farmer's 'country'
habitat was mostly dirt, cow-shit,
pig-slop, gas and oil, lubricants,
and nearly liquefied manure.
In addition, the fermented
stenches of silage, silo-corn,
run-off, and grease. I used
to walk out of there a'stench,
reeking of cow-smells. And so
did everyone else  -  it imbued
all articles of work-clothing.
Everyone had it  -  it got so that
I'd get somewhere and as soon
as I and others walked in, farm
guys, the aroma of the whole
room changed. It was funny, but
farmers joked about it and never
cared much. Except maybe for
the Sunday stuff  - everyone who
cared tried to fancy-up for that
day. I never did that either.
-
Some things just wouldn't matter.
There are plenty of country places
where it's considered 'trophy' to
have a second home, live in a
rural format, strut your Country
Gentleman, and Country Jane,
stuff; but out where I was, even
the downtown bank stunk. Maybe
in trendy parts of Vermont or
Connecticut such Ralph Lauren
stuff was tolerated and promoted.
Not in Columbia Crossroads nor
anywhere within 40 miles in
either direction as well. You'd
be laughed out of the hot tub
you were hoping for.
-
That was right up my alley. Endless
jeans, flannel shirts, hot weather
tees, an occasional farm hat, mostly
with some tractor name on it  - 
given out freely at the Oliver dealer,
and other places too. I used to wear
boots  -  lace-up, combat kind-of
boots  -  that went through every
sort of obstacle, chemical, liquid,
and ordeal you could think of, and
still held up. And protected my
feet too. Warren used to say that
being a farmer was the second-most
dangerous job/profession in the USA.
I don't know where he got his info
from. I'd asked, 'What's in front of it?'
He'd say, 'Dentists.' Huh? Dentists?
I guess they got their fingers bit off
a lot or something. We'd say funny
stuff between us. He had some quirky,
sixth-grade kid of humor sometimes.
Like, 'Why'd they have to stop the
leper hockey game?  -  Because there
was a face off in the corner.' Stuff
like that. It was otherwise weird,
because, in the barn, he'd often have
a radio going  -  for news. All sorts
of things were happening, and he
wanted, somehow, the blow-by-blow.
Like 'Attica.' The prison riot. All
that was going on. He followed that
closely. And the Pentagon Papers
thing too  -  always on about that,
with the radio. On time, it was
maybe September, maybe still
August, but I remember it was
blistering hot and we were
harvesting corn  -  I was driving
this large tractor towing a
corn-harvester unit behind,
pulling through 2 or 3 rows of
corn at a time  -  it would manage
to slide through and pick out the
ears, which fell into a wagon.
Anyway, it was time for 'dinner.'
Warren had been in the barn
while I ran the fields. We met
up in the house, to eat, and he
started a really precise and
complete run-down of this
whole economics and monetary
thing; like he was Paul Samuelson
or something. Nixon, that day,
had de-linked the dollar from
the gold standard, floating the
currency, as it was called  -  and
Warren had all this information
and knowledge about that down
pat, running on about it like it
was dessert or something. I was
awed. Pretty impressed anyway.
Then I got to thinking  -  who's
he getting his information from?
The radio? Some dumb-ass
commentator? That's part of the
problem with that 'along the way'
learning. Easy enough it is for
you to just pick up erroneous or
biased info. But, Warren did
seem to have it in good order,
and, anyway, what did I know?
Four quarters make a dollar was
about the extent of my monetary
knowledge. That couldn't be
wrong. Right?
-
So, inasmuch (Hey! That's a pretty
weird word, a sort of almost random
compound) as it caught my attention,
I was momentarily impressed at what
I thought was his command of an
issue. One time, a friend of mine
from up Vermont way, Rutland,
came to visit, stay a few days, and
the first morning  -  wanting to see
this farm routine in action  -  we 
got  up and left the house about
6am and walked the field over to
the cow barn. I'd gotten in the
early habit of getting started,
having the cows alerted and set
for milking, and the rest. My
friend, noticing that Warren had
yet not come out of the house, 
nearing 7:30, got a big kick out
of then referring to Warren as
my 'Gentleman farmer' friend.
It was a 'laugher,' and what he
meant was how I'd made it
leisurely for Warren to lay
back a little, take it easy. And
I guess I had, but I never thought
of it that way. It was more just
a 'job' and those were my hours. 
I had no say in what he did.
He, of course, did come about,
about 8.
-
It was a deal anyway  -  I was
getting paid some, cash, no tell;
I was getting 'milk and meat,'
as it was called  -  food; and I
had the use of vehicles, and 
gasoline too  -  not that I was
really going anywhere with
his stuff. Any real 'road' trips
were my own. (Each farmer had
a 150 or 200 gallon gas-tank
and pump in the barn-yards;
some were even larger). That
personal gas-station aspect was
also very cool. There'd be vehicles
slumped all around people's yards.
I loved that stuff too.  When your
car finally did quit, you just left
it there. It was funny. Like that
Jennings guy said to me once,
'If it don't run, it ain't no good to me.








No comments: