Tuesday, August 6, 2019

11,965. RUDIMENTS, pt. 769

RUDIMENTS, pt. 769
(the dark spots being water...)
Like the figment of a castle,
or an ancient galleon on a
moonlit sea, that's pretty fairly
what my own life's ever been
like. Out there the distance,
and thoughtfully seen, but,
perhaps not real either. For
the times I did reach out, all
I got was air. Not much to
be done after all that.
-
Out in Pennsylvania I found
that mostly the only things
that counted were utilitarian
things  -  items which had a
use and a meaning that could
be called precise and described.
And that was all that was ever
sought. Their use of language
suited that as well  -  the road
went straight, and with few
curves. Anything that you
started had to bring you right
back, upon completion, to
the start point. There were no
alterations or sideways-cues
tolerated. You did NOT leave
the track. The odd thing was,
a fair number of those folk
were plain-religious folk,
and I considered that sort
of attitude to be, frankly,
irreligious. Religion, to me,
was always a dare and a twist;
a sought for, unseen ending,
except by faith for wide open
and glorious future vistas,
filled of the possible and the
daring. Never the same road
back in that one took out.
-
These were pretty grounded
people, not seafarers in any way.
There were some lakes and ponds
around, but you didn't see much
out there about boats and water.
The Finger Lakes were, yes, about
30 miles or so up, above Elmira,
but that was a trek, and all that
equipment and gear and boat too
had to be trudged there, trailered,
pulled. These farmer people
were busy, most always, and the
darn cows got needy twice a day,
for milking. Even if you say 6am
and 6pm, considering the travel
and set-up in between, that wasn't
much of a day for being out.
Farmers were always griping
about never getting a day off.
-
That's why kids were plentiful.
Boys as farmhands  -  for those
needed vacations for Dad, and the
daughters too, they were farmhands.
Everyone had a small streak of
that 'freckly, chewing on a piece
of straw' quality; it just sort of
drew you into their work and
adventure. You wanted to know
more. A troubling thing was that
every so often I'd see how one
of the sons around, somewhere,
different ones, were very tightly
wound, with a seething intensity
that spelled danger. I imagine that
sort of behavior or trait is in
all the population, but some of
them did seem like the type that
could crack and go real bad. Lots
of armaments around, that sort
of consciousness. As sad as it
was for the deer in the woods,
I sure always hoped they'd take
it out on them and not other
people. Aggression wears a
high hat, one that stands out
in a crowd. Personally for me,
that being the era of Vietnam,
my not being there and showing
as well no military bearing,
consciousness or desires, stood
out  -  but, fortunately, I was never
asked flat out why I wasn't in the
military, or how I'd handled that
'Vietnam' thing. For many of
these families, military service
was the high honor  -  you'd see
the framed photos of their 18 or
20 year old, on the mantle, framed
and away at war. My other farm
neighbor, Willard, over on the
other side of my long hill, had
a Marine son off fighting  -  I
only met him once, home on
leave for a while before another
re-up. I kept it way cool.
-
These land-locked people were
funny  -  there were lots of ponds
and such on the large farm lots.
Remember, even I had two. The
way the ground waters ran, the
streams and rivulets often joined
together at places, and were
sometimes spring-fed right
there too, and just naturally
made ponds. Some people had
swimming platforms out in the
center, others had a rowboat
tethered, some had little seating
platforms and stuff  -  but in fact
there was little use made. Mostly
it was (in my case too) ducks and
geese and plain old wildlife. I
just liked looking at my ponds,
kind of curious dark spots, seen
from a distance, on an otherwise
greened up Summer land. That
dark spot being water.
-
I had missed a lot of things by
living the way I'd been  -  all that
on the curve city stuff, cheap,
just getting by. I'd been bouncing
around between the Studio School,
NYU environs, New School stuff
and Cooper Union too. There
was always something learnable
at Judson Memorial Church, and
of course the main library up on
Fifth Ave and 42nd. But when I
did bail and made it out to PA, I
had some sever deficiencies. Books,
for one. I probably had 100, and
 that was considered a real lot. I
had some oddball subscriptions,
Artforum, Avalanche, Paris Review;
the sorts of things they'd never
heard of out there and which the
mailman probably just scratched
his head about. So one of my prime
efforts, and much later too, when I
got to Elmira College, was building
a sort of library of my own. We both
had that interest, my wife and myself,
and it was easy to fill  -  although
nothing like today with all that
internet access to old titles, used
books and the rest. Elmira itself
had two bookstores, jokeable, but
whatever, and the College there
had one of its own, but this was
all long before the days of B&N
Superstores in every town and
small city. I scoff at them now,
but in the 1980's and early '90's
Barnes & Noble was a good
purveyor of needed books. On
every trip back to NYC, we'd
scour and get lost along Book
Row and Fourth Ave., all those
old and strange bookstores of your:
Biblo & Tannen; National Books,
Astor Place, 12th Street Books, etc.
There was no one with whom to
talk books or ideas with in Columbia
Crossroads. One of those kids that
used to hang around my farmhouse
was a high school senior, studying
a little of Henry David Thoreau
and Transcendentalism  -  he was
very interested in that, and we
looked at books and talked. Not
much came of it, and he always
was mis-pronouncing Thoreau
as Thoreoux (Thor-E-Ox), as
if it had that x on the end. It was
weird, but I never pressed it.
He's the same kid who later
drove his Mercury Comet into
my pond, spinning out on the
dirt road in a huff. He and his
friends had taken to coming over
to my house, listening to records,
(mine), and smoking weed until
they were sometimes just too
zoned out to leave. There was
one day they'd gotten on my
bad side and annoyed me and
I made them leave, threw them
out, let's say. That's when he
got in his car and tore off, way
wrongly, and losing control.
We had to chain his car up
and drag it out with the John
Deere. Lucky for him it did
re-start without much fuss. I
really got to hate wit hen these
kids, in their local Troy High 
School, started messing around
with pot. They were coming out 
of an absolute, no-brain, nowhere;
and suddenly partaking of this
half-drug that would simply
screw them up even more :
no learning, no interest but
lethargy. It was horrible, and
all these kids were anxious and 
happy to be on that bus marked
'Dead-End Express.'
-
I should have just looked him
in the dreary face and said, 'Why
aren't you in the military?'




No comments: