Sunday, August 25, 2019

12,036. RUDIMENTS, pt.788

RUDIMENTS, pt. 788
(the rise of the waltz)
I was the inquisitive type.
In Second Grade my teacher
was a lady named Mrs. Schur.
I'm not really sure (not a pun)
about the Mrs. or Miss, or the
spelling actually, but then, it
makes no difference. On the
back of my report card, in
a comments section, by
'Deportment'  -  which I
only later found out about,
for its meaning and all; it
was a very scary word to
me, calling forth nothing
but trouble  - she'd written,
'Gary has a problem with
questions.' I never had any
idea, even as a second grader,
what in the heck that was
meant to get across, but my
Mother saw it and went nuts
on me (as if she knew what
it meant?). The fact of the
matter was, I had no problem
at all with questions; I just
asked them and, apparently,
this teacher had a problem
with answers  -  to which she
was unwilling to own up and
instead ripped it back onto
some poor little snipe of a kid,
(me), calling him out. From
that day forth, yes, I swore
to hate teachers and blaming
and turnabout and pomposities
and illogic and every other
normal and God-awful societal
thing that those sorts of overly
'taut' women professed, and
their men-versions too  -  of
which this same school had
a few real tart-examples of.
And my Mother as well was
a real pain in the butt over
these things, always siding
with the teachers and taking
every dip-shit and categorical
judgment they'd make as
lame, beauty-parlor gossipy
fact. The whole freaking
system was a bunch of
freaks making a system.
(There's my logic).
-
I never got over it, and still
spend occasional time working
it all out. Wasting my long and
overdue adult time still dwelling
on their wreckages of kid-crap.
The philosopher Bertrand Russell
declared that the great discovery
of the twentieth century was the
technique of the 'suspended
judgment.' Well maybe it was,
to him, but I was having none
of it. I made my judgment of
all this, quickly, and without
suspension. Bam!
-
There was a small bookstore
in Elmira and I often was
somehow able to find cool
stuff in its racks  -  including
the aforesaid Bertrand Russell,
(who seemed rather dry and
unreadable to me) and Ludwig
Wittgenstein (they were buddies)
who made a lot more sense and
excitement to me in the reading.
The very weird thing about
Wittgenstein  -  curious, actually,
unless it was just some fantastic
1940's marketing ploy or whenever
it was  - he had two distinct
'careers' of philosophy, and two
different bodies of books, well,
sort of, published and disseminated
differently anyway, but still.
books. The first  -  and eminent  
-  part of his career he laboriously
built up one thing, its theories
and conclusions and examples;
and then, after a long bout of
silence, he came back  -  saying
all of that had been wrong, and
he wrote an entire other side of
everything! Repudiation of one's
early work, in a sense, later did
become one of marketing's biggest
acts  -  all these rock-music guys,
for example, in referring to their
own work, always repudiate the
earlier so you can then buy the 
new. As in, "Fir Trees At Dawn?'
Oh, man, I can hardly listen to 
that now; it was way off. This
new album, 'Fickletown' is much
better; man, it's where we're AT
now!" See what I mean?
-
So, I don't withhold judgment.
Don't care much too, and probably
won't. Like today, yet again, I
see the local fireman guy coming
out of Introcaso's (a long-time
dry-cleaner in town) with some
fireman laundry, or whatever it is
that dry-cleaners do. I wondered
to myself. 'What? These guys can't
do their own laundry? They have
five bays of gleaming firetrucks
and gussied vehicles, two floors
of space for their offices, rooms,
and soirees, and two sources at
least, of tax incomes to support
their endeavor, and they have to
contract out an open commercial
account for for laundry service?
Is it bid? What are the yearly
figures? How many hands are
in those numbers? Why is it all
so secret?' That's an example 
only but it's the sort of thing
that drives me nuts. There's no
accountability; there's no
'nothing' anymore, and we
schmucks just keep on a'paying.
Lots of room there for discussion,
but the ants in his pants no-shine
Mayor won't even speak to
conditional motions of the public
weal. I can't tell what he has worse
  - a problem with questions, or his
own problem about answers. Screw
all of those guys. They can look it 
up, what they don't understand,
while they do their laundry).
And if he won't speak to it,
then none of them hoisted
petards should complain when
wrong issues begin to get
disseminated. Look that
up too, I guess.
-
In my little, old, leaky, farmhouse,
once I got it all settled and had
some 'feminine' input (and 
companionship), things got
righted and began nicely falling
into place  -  a tiny, little community,
us  -  amidst farm folk, rolling
hills of plenty, and a million new
things to learn. George Orwell
phrased it as 'Keeping the
Aphidistra Flying'  -  which we
did. Of course, and I would
think it's pretty obvious, I was
incompatible with the world
around me, and no one had a
clue what I was up to or doing,
least of all the two twin brothers
who ran that Elmira bookstore.
I got half friendly with them
just because of frequent exposure,
and my 9 dollars here and 9
dollars there (you could so a lot
with a dollar back then). I had
no idea what their sales quotient
was, nor their profitability. The
stock seemed good, and kept
fresh, and old too. The two guys
were twins, yes, but as different
as could be. You can't say one
was the heart, and the other the
soul, of the business, since that's
much of the same thing. Rather,
I'd say one was the 'mind' of the
place, and the other the 'soul,' or
spirit. The Mind brother hung
about the cash register like a
mole-rat, watching everything
and adding it all up; with the
other, the 'soul' of the place,
kept at the books, examining 
the shelves, reading the stock, 
looking through things. 
'Partaking,' as it were, of
the licit bookstore experience.
Which was, after all, their
premise and professed mission.
I used to imagine him, a la
Wittgenstein, 'repudiating'
his past and suddenly just
staying in one place with a
thousand comic books, while
drooling over each one with a
leering kid-smirk, as he read
the word-bubbles. 'The Hell
with books! Man THIS is 
where it's at now!'
-
Well, not so fast, Charlie Brown;
as the saying went back in those
days. Charlie Brown, by the
way was very confusing to me.
There was a Charlie Brown in
the comics, there were Buster
Brown shoes (?), and, previous
to all that there had been an
early rock n'roll song called,
'That Charlie Brown, He's a
Clown.' Something like that.
'Who calls the teacher Daddio?
That Charlie Brown, he's a clown.
He's gonna; get caught, just you
wait and see.' And then, in the
song, the dog-voiced Charlie says,
'Why's everybody always picking
on me?' (Uh oh, Mrs. Schur; he's
asking a question!)....
-
Oh, you're wondering....what's
about the rise of the waltz? Here:
'The rise of the waltz,' Curt Sachs
explains in 'World History Of the 
Dance,' 'was a result of that longing
for truth, simplicity, closeness to
nature, and primitivism, which the
last two-thirds of the eighteenth
century fulfilled. The waltz must
be seen as a hot and human 
expression that broke through
the formal feudal barriers of
courtly and choral dance styles.'
The waltz? Whaaa?

No comments: