Friday, August 23, 2019

12,027. RUDIMENTS, pt. 786

RUDIMENTS, pt. 786
(without any paddle too)
Mostly, I rambled  -  even
when I stayed in place my
mind was roving. Looking
out for the past  -  in ways
that were totally difficult to
explain to others  -  I also
kept an eye for the future,
or what the 'Future' at any
one time, seemed to be.
There are any number of
meanings to what the 'past'
is  -  you can find car-guys
along every Main Street
around, on their 'Cruise
Night' outings. To them
the past is old cars, or
trucks, or motorcycles.
To others it's old music,
or retro fashions and
costumes. To the pen
and paper person, maybe
it's just 'History'  -  the
wars and battles and
strategies that went into
the great surges of military
and social progress they'll
swear to. To me, the Past
was always rather just a
sound in my head  -  a pure,
ringing tone; something to
do with rightness (different
than righteousness)  -  much of
the time it was disharmonious
with the world around me, but
every so often something would
settle that tone down, harmonize
with it perfectly, smooth out
the ragged rhythm I heard.
It could be one old house, a
huge old tree, the stream where
the mill used to be. They all
came alive, each, to my eyes, as
I could see the original enclave
of space and time that had once
been around them. I could feel
that figure in the old doorway and,
amazingly, hear the old language
it spoke  -  the stranger utterances
and gutturals and word uses. It
was all pretty visual for me. What
I hated the most, always, were
the people who'd ruin all that
for everyone else. Politics.
Builders. Developers.
-
When I got into the guts of
Pennsylvania, that settled it for
me. The old farmhouse in Columbia
Crossroads was a songstress; tunes
and words came rolling out of it
from each angle. The first, strange
night I was there, alone, in my
'new' space was magical. Do you,
maybe, remember, as a kid, how
the dark and night and no lights
and being alone in a room scared
you a bit  -  noises, creaks and
scratches making you think things
were coming out of the walls to
get you, engulf you in some
weird vapor or cloth, to spirit
you away to some dark neverland
of the young mind. An outrageous
form of nightmare where the
things you touched came alive, to
bark or screech at you? It was
the middle of January, already
freezing cold, 10 degree levels,
and the paltry heat had just
betrayed itself to me, there,
new, by myself, just hoping for
better. It's the feeling of not
being alone, when you know
you are. I stayed there most of
the night, in my hat and coat,
and did finally fall asleep in some
old chair. I realized immediately
I didn't know the house at all.
I was undergoing again all and
any of those childhood dark-night
trials that I thought I'd never,
ever, see again.  I never needed
Halloween after that stuff hit.
There'd be a learning curve, and
I'd need to be ready. I touched
a lamp. I didn't know that lamp
at all. Nor the chair, nor the wall
and the frosted window before
me. Everything out before me
was totally strange, and 10 hours
previous I'd been someplace else
entire. From what I saw, this
could have been 1924.
-
The next morning, the neighboring
farmer guy  -  whom I'd get to know
real well in the next 6 months, rode
by on his tractor. Everything was
frozen hard, and my dirt road,
leading to the house, which by
March would become a torrent
of water and mud for me, day
after day, with all the snow-melt
and run-off, still looked long
and pleasant and serene. 12 acres
of serene, by the papers I had
on the shelf in the other room.
The tractor stopped, and I saw
he was walking over  -  we shared
fields, properties abutting at this
one corner. He knocked, and I
met him  -  I had no clue how to
appear, greet, or respond. He
could have been from Mars, at
the moment. He smiled, wanted
to see if I was all OK, made it
through OK -   he said he'd seen
the lights on and that was a novelty.
He was used to this old place being
dark. He said I could stop by later,
for dinner, if I cared, or if I got
hungry. Fact was, I had nothing,
and I wasn't even sure what worked.
Stove, maybe. What they claimed
was a refrigerator? Another story.
We had to change all that stuff
pretty quickly once the whole
family got here and started rolling,
or trying to. He said his name was
Warren; I'd briefly met him before,
when my father said hi and greeted
him. (That was back in late October,
when I bought all this. Everything
then was golden orange, russet,
yellow. Crazy Autumn stuff like
I'd never seen).  My father, who'd
come with me then, overseeing
what properties I looked at and
liked. He vetoed one or two as
two horrendous to live in, even
for the Devil. He greeted everyone
as if he knew them for years, and
he shortened everyone's name too,
immediately, Robert became Bobby,
Joseph or Joe became Joey. He
never cared, and no one ever
objected. I always pictured my
father going up to Josef Stalin,
about the pograms and peasant
deaths and all, and saying, 'Now
Joey, cut that shit out!' He was
guileless. Is that the word? He
was without guile! The first
two people we'd met up there,
when I was shopping places
to live, were Warren (this fellow)
and Willard Brown, the guy I
did eventually buy this leftover
house and pieces of property,
from. The two 'W's' I called
them. I never had W's before,
except maybe in grade school,
for some Walter Sobiesky kid,
I think it was, and maybe Walter
O'Malley, who owned a baseball
team and I'd heard of, one or
the other team I forget. And my
Uncle Walter, of course, from
Germany  -  who sort of defined
that name for me forever.
Willard, and Warren, those
kinds of names were all new
to me -  old, archaic; they too
seemed deep-rooted in time.
-
So, I told him things were OK,
I'd been cold, the house didn't really
heat very well (I've written about
all this in previous chapters; the
place here was a bit of a wreck,
yet I won't say 'mistake'). I then
said thank you for the food offer,
and since no one else would be
up here for 10 days or so, I might
stop by, starting with tonight! I
did go a few times, but I was in
no way wishing to make a habit
of that. He was fine, all things 
were good, and he went about 
his field work, even in the 
crispy-ice freeze. You might 
be wondering what that work 
would be, seeing  as it was the 
17th of January and everything 
was frozen solid, including
land, soil stream and puddle. 
What he did, twice daily  -  
and which actually became 
one of my jobs later on  -  
was spread the aromatic and
warm cow manure over his
adjoining acres down some
along the hill-bottom nearby.
From the wagon and spreader 
he towed  -  which farmers
euphemistically referred to 
as the 'Honey Wagon'  -  came
the spray and broadcast of cow
poop by the acre. They never
stop that stuff if fed right!
-
I had one free day to sort of
get my bearings, (I was due
in Elmira the next day about a
new, promised, job), figure out
the pickle I was in, get my stuff
together, and determine out how 
I was going to live. It wasn't me
so much  -  I could live out of
a box and a cot  -  but I had a
wife and a 6-month old kid
due in, in about 10 days, driven
directly by her father (her mother
being too distraught over losing
the 6-month grandkid's presence
and the daughter taking up with
a tramp like me in the ass-end of
nowhere). Her father, though a
generally jovial fellow, harbored
his own suspicions of me. The
least of them being, to him, as
he put it, that I was 'accident 
prone.' There's a whole comedy
routine here just a'waitin' to 
happen, but I haven't the
energy right now to do it.
-
I wanted things to look at least
half-sensible for when they arrived.
That never really happened, being
a guy and all, I just didn't have that
touch about towels and washcloths
and soaps and all that crap. If
anyone had addressed me as 'Mr.
Haphazard,' hell, I'd have answered.
And none too soon. I just wasn't
about any of that stuff, and there
was no sense anyway in being
fastidious about being on the
Titanic, and it about to go down.
The heck with neatness. Flee for
your life and self! (Except, at
this point, I was without a life-boat,
and without any paddle too).




No comments: