Sunday, August 4, 2019

11,961. RUDIMENTS, pt. 767

RUDIMENTS, pt. 767
(scratch that, hazards abound)
Not a thing about this was
like around here now. People
live totally differently, now;
all characteristics changed.
Take matches, for example.
First off, no one uses them
anymore, probably because
nowadays most everyone
does NOT smoke  -  whereas
back then most everyone did. 
The big thing now is the same
dependency but done now by
idiots sucking on a watered
vapor and blowing out steam.
And calling it the same. Candy
flavored bubble-gum same.
Everybody's infantile now.
Have you been to a family
wedding lately? The goons
play it to the hilt. Kid, get
serious, you're freaking being
married for God-damn sake.
They come rolling out now, the
wedding party, two by two or
one by one with their stupid
play routine, everything as if
they were children on 'Zoom.'
Plus the freakheads expect you
to enjoin and enjoy this idiocy.
With complete background
noise the entire time so that you
can't hear yourself talk let
alone think  -  people sitting
there grinning at themselves
for lack of anything better
to do. Go home, I say.
-
Pennsylvania? That farmhouse
scene was pretty great and kept
getting greater. I'd go up into
that third floor vast attic, just
to smell how cool it was, the
scent. A heavy-for-sure welt
of Maple. As fresh as if it was
brand new, except it was 70 years
old. Toughest smell in the world.
I used to love it. I don't know how
I passed up on all this, but I must
have been either crazy or beleaguered,
like beleaguered caviar! I guess it
was that whole wife and kid thing;
that always knocks a man down.
Turns life into a grind, more than
it should ever really be  -  unless 
a person enjoys it. I never much
did. In this case, it drove me
back out, after a good 7 or 8
years. Too bad. I never knew
what I had. (I threw it all away).
-
It's a song - 'Once I had mountains
in the palm of my hand / rivers I ran
through every day. I must have been
mad. I never knew what I had. Until
I threw it all away. I threw it all
away.' Something like that.
-
I don't bedevil bad tidings, nor
do I polish doorknobs. This time
spent here isn't like that, not about
that at all. Sometimes I'd sit around
and grumble, 'Nothing here to eat,
'cept these damned crackers.' Out
back, I had plenty of things to
do, but I attacked everything in
the slowest manner possible, as I
realized right off I wasn't 'about'
work, thank you. Let someone else
do all that crap. I have a higher 
calling. Way out behind the house,
over at the entry portico by the
big barn, there were some 4 or 5
cars, left, and just setting there.
They were useless  -  bad tires,
windshields all cracked. some
of the doors no longer closed
(Or opened, for that matter, or
once opened, wouldn't close 
again). Most of them vintage 
1960 era. There was even a
Corvair; and a Mercury Turnpike
Cruiser. Mostly we used them for
target practice, or putting cans
and bottles on the roofs and 
from the back of the house then
shooting away at everything, to
see what we'd hit. 'Aim' wasn't the
point. Firepower was. Everyone up
there hunted, most any-named 
season you could think of had a 
hunt time, and farmers anyway
could shoot at any varmint they'd
to, saying it was eating their 
crop or messing with their fields.
Out back, behind Warren's barn,
the deer just used to hang out,
staring back, as if to see what was
to be coming their way next. He
hated that, and was always at
the ready to be rid of such
pests and threats...
-
Oh, back to the matches subject.
Up there in those Pennsylvania
hills, most matches sold were in
nice little slide-boxes, and were
called 'Blue-Tip' or somesuch.
They were 'strike anywhere' 
matches  -  mostly because all
these farmers, they'd always be
busy milking cows and rolling
cigarettes one-handed. With
never a spare hand, certainly not
for holding steady a dumb old
matchbook to scratch the match
on so as to ignite. Scratch-anywheres
were wooden shafts'; the farmer
could grab one, and with one hand
swiping, he could scratch it along
most anything  -  floor, cinder-block,
rough-side of a galvanized milk
pail, and it would ignite. I swear
to you I saw it done, and had
done it myself, on pant-zippers
and even on the ends of teeth.
If the 'snap' was done just right,
it would light at the snap-pull
off one's teeth. These same
blue-tip matches, being strike
anywhere, presented two major
hazards. The sorts of things it
really paid to be aware of, and
that rubes without experience, 
like people here now, wouldn't 
know of. First, anyone big on 
themselves and macho enough 
to think about it, would put 5 
or 10 of these matches in their 
pocket. Stupid move, firecracker
man. Jostling and rubbing
against each other would be
apt to start the fire, 'burn the
toolshed' if you know what I
mean. Having a sudden small
fire on your work-jeans pocket
is no fun. And another hazard,
also from experience, was that
hazard created by mice. Of which,
even with 5 cats living in the barn,
(plenty of free milk) and keeping
much of the mice population down,
there were plenty. And which mice,
it had been known, were apt to
run off with a strike anywhere,
wooden matchstick, for gnawing,
and, on the journey through your
barn or house walls, the dragging
match wold self-ignite. Goodbye
House, hello in-the-walls firestater.
I can tell you, hazards abounded.
-
If someone were to look back on my
life now and say 'miserable journey,'
I'd surely have to pipe up and disagree.
You need to remember, as well,
that it wasn't ME going to visit other
people; it was other people always
wanting to come up and visit me. 
See how we were living; what had
become of us; how we'd done that
which we'd done. We put up with it
all, and it was good. I can't ever say
it was pesky; and mostly they had
money too  -  enough liquid cash
that we'd not have to worry about 
that pizza or hamburger everyone 
ended up wanting. Two of my
friends, in fact, came up quite
often, maybe three times a season,
for a weekend  -  we did lots of
things; showed them the ups,
tops, and bottoms of Ithaca, and
Cornell, and Watkins Glen and
Montour Falls too. Went all
 over, mostly on their dime :
midnight forays listening on distant
radio to 'Old Black Water' and
Van Morrison too. Eating at places
I'd never otherwise think of going
into. Every time they'd leave to
go back to Avenel (he was a
mailman there, one of the guys,
and the other worked at Pilot Labs,
on Homestead or one of those swamp
streets), they'd leave a 20-dollar
bill upstairs on the dresser in the 
room they stayed in. Back then that
20 was like 100, and often a lifeline.
I didn't know there was a little
romantic fling going on behind it
all, but later on we worked it all
out and got it straight. Had to.
Otherwise that target practice
stuff could have gotten ugly.



No comments: