Wednesday, August 21, 2019

12,024. RUDIMENTS, pt. 785

RUDIMENTS pt. 785
(if I told you once I already told you...)
There's a lot of mystery left,
in me; and in all the places
and things I do. The South,
as I've been portraying, of
old Jersey anyway, used to
maintain a lot of really old
attributes. Now, growing up
around everywhere, I never
rightly heard about nor was
told about any of these. My
personal outlaw-mix days, 
same goes. The worst people 
I ever saw, violence, guns, 
Biker stuff, could probably be
equally divided between the
top and the bottom of the state,
yet I maintain that the more
vile of the violent aspects
were in the deep south; as
if sand was currency. I know
they make metal detectors,
but if they ever made body
detectors and someone walked
the sandy barrens with one of
those, there'd for sure be a
goodly share of beeping.
-
Let's take the simple town
of Lawnside. The happiest
people I ever met were from
Lawnside. It was a Negro town;
and when I say that I don't mean
the later arrival blacks, Nigerians,
Ibo's, or Ethiopians or Somalis
either. They mostly become
fashion models now anyway;
or they sell watches on the
sidewalk along the avenues,
from vendor tables heavy
with sunglasses, watches,
perfumes, hats, scarves,
gloves and  -  goodness  -
'pashmina' shawls, (goat's
wool). Lawnside, by contrast,
was peopled by old-line, Negro
American slave descendants.
Maybe Angolans from 1619.
Purely. And simply. No BS,
no attitude over any of that;
just happiness. It was somehow a
bumptious revel to see people
happy and subsumed in their
own subset culture. There was
a small, cinder-block, building
in the middle of things; an
Underground Railroad Museum,
they called it now  -  it had been,
supposedly, one of those stops
for fugitives on their smuggled
way north or to Canada. There's
not been another place like this,
in Jersey  -  the guys I knew
there, they spoke it peacefully
and wisely too. It all bespoke
an old America - one of which
no one really any longer knows
the make-up of. When those
nitwits go to start talking about
reparations and all that now,
I sure hope they're at least
taking about Lawnside folk,
and not those newly arrived
watch-sellers.
-
America had slavery in its blood
since day one. There's no denying
it, and many, many died over the
whole stupid issue. I don't even
know how any God-fearing
Christian type can square all
that Bible-talk and early
American stuff with what
purports today to be regular
American society. There's no
fit at all. And they're all idiots;
if thinking that the Bible making
mention of slavery then supports
the entire concept of subjugation.
All across south Jersey, and
Philadelphia's areas too, a
person runs across Quaker
places of worship and schools
and meeting houses. The big
silence pervades them too. But
at least they objected fully.
On any large tray of American
food, there's an equally  -  or
should be  -  large platter of
sadness. Yet whatever form it
took, it always seemed like
Lawnside got over it a long
time ago. My friend Mike,
who lived down that way and
who first mentioned Lawnside
to me, said 'There's a town
down here called, Lawnside.
It's not 'lawns' really, just, well,
black people; a whole town of
them.' I never understood how
people could wrap themselves
around the idea of having
other people do things for
them, even having 'possession'
of other people. It all made me
barf. I remember, back in the
days of Eugene Genovese,
once a professor at Rutgers,
who was fully embroiled in 
the Vietnam protest situations;
he wrote a book after that time
period, published in, I think
1968, called 'Roll, Jordan,
Roll,' about slavery and all
its ways  -  rather than subject
it to denigration, he shows the
ways that (supposedly) 'slaves'
made the culture work for 
them, achieving their own levels
of gain, comfort and family. It
was, yes, of course, seen as
quite controversial for its times,
for all times, but, in many
respects it made me think of
Lawnside each time I reviewed
all this in my head. My logic
may not have been impeccable,
and my experience, frankly was
nil  -  probably to the effect of
it being stupid for me to even
think about  -  but it represented
what I saw in Lawnside. Sorry.
-
South Jersey was paradoxical.
Motorcycles, bikers, camp-outs,
shacks, bungalows, and shanties
notwithstanding. I think back 
some now and consider, if I 
had it all to do over again, I 
just might have........done it 
all there. Deep, alone, and 
unseen, in those dense and 
sandy, fir-forested roads and
byways. All that could so quickly
become a wonderland of sight,
sound, and imagination.



No comments: