Sunday, August 11, 2019

11,983. OUT AT THE HORIZON

OUT AT THE HORIZON
(true story)
Out at the horizon, where
the forks run hot, remember, 
I was standing there with your
mother, who was drinking rum.
She'd been swimming, and had
a scant robe on, over her scant 
bathing suit too. But I didn't
stare and wouldn't dare gawk;
making sure it was no more
than talk.
-
She was talking about Adam;
someone I didn't know. It was
just a name to me. I had said,
'I never see you without your
husband.' Everything was
confusing. She said, 'What
do you mean? I do lots of
things on my own, I went to
Florida without him.' My
friend, next to us, piped up,
a little woozy, 'What I want
to know is who the hell is
Adam?' It was funny, how
'without him' had become
'With Adam' to our dull,
befuddled minds.

No comments: