Monday, December 3, 2018

11,364. RUDIMENTS, pt. 522

RUDIMENTS pt. 522
(sailing these Avenel swamps)
I've never gotten to a lot of
things, misunderstanding,
never caught on. There's
no pretentions to my follies;
they're just follies. I'm an
Avenel boy, through and
through, and that gets
more and more difficult 
to shake. The thing that's
cool about it  -  and what
makes it so perplexing  - 
is that it's a ghost place,
a place that doesn't exist
any more. No one knows
what I'm talking about.
'Well, see, there used to
be this place, down in
the swamps, heck, almost
southern, 'cept for the
alligators and stuff.' We
never had that. But it
had its own kind of slow,
nowhere time, to a beat
that was always behind
the count. (If you've ever
carefully listened to the
drummer of Led Zepplin,
his work, Jon Bonham,
it's like that, something
of old Avenel to it, just
a tad off, a 1/16th stick
somehow always behind
the count. Makes for
some interesting sound.
We revered it so much
that there's a town, one
over from here, named
after him. Bonhamton.
Just before Edison, west.
OK, just kidding, so what).
-
Anyway, being from a place
that no longer exists is cool.
It's magic, without all that
crummy birthright stuff and
its adhesion to the present
day. All the jerks and little
guys we have running things
now, they're all strip-mall
guys. They cheer and get all
hoo-hah over a new  plaza
or some new row of glass
windows comprising a show
store, malt shop, convenience
store and pizza place. They
claim it as progress, and the
local midgets clap and cheer
too. Yep, five will get you
ten the two-year turnover
rule sets in faster than
Fatty Arbuckle's probation
ran out. They'll all be closed
up that soon. Nothing much 
but vacancies are worth 
anything around here.
-
Just the other day, I saw
some clip with the endless
pomp and pageantry of
the local parade  - whatever
they call it now, Santa
Fest, Winter Fest,
Christmas. It was
incredibly tasteless,
which is par for the
course around here,
but when I saw the
glee-boys of the Arts
Center strut by, and
the one-man Mayor
with his stout in hand
gamely staring out as
he marched alone, I
almost laughed. From 
the Hebrew, 'tahas'  -  
meaning underneath  -
I figured they should
just start calling it the
Tahas-Fest Parade and
have it roll right down 
Avenel Street (which 
no longer exists either)
and crash into the grand
parameters of Rahway Ave.,
and then turn around and
have a grope-fest at the
Wilkinson Center For 
Boys. Then I'd know
we've got it made. See, the
thing is (well, used to be 
anyway, before the special
interests took over), Avenel
Boys never had any respect,
nor politeness either. Used
to be like that, up and down
most all the streets  - we 
were fraternity-sparrows, 
gang-tough, and we'd roll
anyone over who tried 
throwing down the kind
 of crap we get today. 
This place now is as 
destroyed as the
bottom of a beggar's 
cup,  and they're 
building a  ghetto 
for us, right around 
us, and they expect us
to clap and laugh. Like a
a guy running through the
abattoir, we're stuck, and
there's no other way out.
What's an old Avenel guy
do? He whips it out and
fights back. And that's all
I have to say about that.
-
I guess I never got the right
messages out of things. Not
that anyone else did either;
they ended up worse-off 
than me; at least I fight 
back against their damned 
used-up sheet-metal and 
recycled bullshit. Around me?
All the girl-guys of today's
all-confused consternation
line up to cheer on the 
crooks. Manifest Destiny?
My ass.
-
Never having anything 
to do with the seminary, 
this quandary always kept 
me going  -  we were
always pushed together, 
to pray together, to walk 
together, muse and sing 
the praises of some 
rather tawdry Lord-God.
(Kind of like Town-Hall
as it is anyway). But I
hated all the groupdom
stuff. I hate running, but 
if I run, I run alone. In
the New Testament, as fine
a smattering of thin-lipped
swearations as you'll ever
get, in Matthew 18:20, there
 was always a point there
that really tripped me up.
It never made any sense,
at all. Jesus says (I here
paraphrase from memory;
too lazy to look it up): 
'Wherever two or more
gather in my name, there
am I in the midst of them.'
So, this Jesus guy, sweating
it out in Gethsemane, 
sweating beads of blood,
in fact  -  I think it says  -
He did it all alone, and we
assume God was there. But
what's this Matthew stuff 
saying? The individual, 
alone and singular, cannot 
get up a God presence. He
or she needs a quorum?
Even Martin Luther didn't
think of this angle. It seems
the jungle-fervor of a dump
like Avenel all of a sudden
has become the touchstone
guideline of the way things
are done? Everyone has to
parade and mob around a
sleaze-center of bad 
motivations? Talk about
praying to the wrong idol.
Jesus K. Rist, turn this boat
around. Sail these swamps
the right way, please. (And
you've let the money lenders
run off with the temple).



No comments: