Friday, December 28, 2018

11,428. RUDIMENTS, pt. 547

RUDIMENTS, pt. 547
(haulin' and trawlin' on the wine-dark sea)
I kind of always hated the
ocean even though I went
there often enough; thanks
to my father and his incessant
need for the sea. He had an
Evinrude outboard motor,
6 or 8 horsepower, and many
were the Saturdays he'd put
it in the rear of the station 
wagon and drive, with me
along, not that often by choice,
just more like a chore, to some
'Captain Bob's 'or something
place where he'd rent a  -  
believe this  -  a rowboat for
the day and strap the motor
onto the rear. Without fail, it
was always the same; 8 hours 
out on the open water, bobbing
around with a small outboard 
and some gas, humming through 
the little waves and rises of the
sea, maybe sometimes a mile 
or two out. Many more than
once we had a coast guard ship
come out to us and someone
on  a megaphone screaming at
us to get back in towards shore;
we were too far out for the
flimsy craft and engine we had,
or we were in larger boating lanes
unsafe both for us and others. It
was crazy. My father never cared.
He's re-do the very same errant
scenario the very next time out.
Fishing? Yeah, I guess you could
call it that  -  some days we get
five or ten, blues or stripers or
fluke or flounder (which is what
we nearly always close to doing
anyway. It was a fluke we never
drowned). A lot of times the best
of the day was crabs  -  some days,
honestly, we'd get 50 or go in one
or two burlap bags, scapping them
up along the basis of the bridges
over the inlet. I hated all that  -
between flopping fish slapping
around on the bottom of the 
small boat, to bags of crabs,
equally alive and foaming,
probably as they gagged to 
death slowly in the burlap or,
if they survived  - which many
did  -  to come home with us 
and be thrown into vats of 
boiling 212-degree water to
get torched to death and then
ripped apart as food. It was all
very disgusting and hideous to me
and shouldn't have happened to
a dog (As the saying goes; though
I certainly value dogs a million
times more than these gross 
scenes). I never understood people,
just as I never understood the total
and unappended glee my father
got from these hideous and
dangerous behaviors. High-risk
boating included. Being 8 or 9
years old, or whatever it was,
you don't get much choice in the
matter. I was constantly being
drafted in as Popeye's unwilling
assistant. One time way out
we got what must have been
(one wants to say 'we caught,'
but of course that's senseless) 40
blowfish  -  a stupid, tasteless
species of nothing, but a fish
which, in peril, puffs itself up,
thus 'blowfish' from looking
like a regular fish to, instead,
resembling a large, spiky,
softball. Of course that also 
increases their size, and their
roll castor, around the small
deck and underfoot area of a 
'God-damned' rowboat. We 
were soon enough unable to 
even move about, in the midst
of, as we were, 40 kickball size,
terrified fish. As I recall, maybe
that horror was my last time out.
I was so done, and furious too!
From then on, I'd do whatever
it took to stay away  -  'No, can't
go, have to go Barbie-Doll clothes
shopping today, Dad, with the 
guys, and then get our nails done.' 
I mean, WHATEVER it took.
-
Yeah the maritime life just wasn't
for me  -  all that sand and gentle 
surf, all those lovers out together 
with basket beach-lunches; all those
wave swimmers and Dangling-Dons
riding their boards and skies. I'd
rather chew leather. My father
persisted in all this, long after me,
and did eventually find other kids,
neighborhood and more, to do all
this with. Fishing poles, swim suits,
sandy bags of crabs and writhing
fish. Have you ever watched a
real sea-fish die? It's pure terror
in their silent eyes  -  a minute 
before, they were dawdling in the
ocean, in love with the watery
cosmos, the deep, and then some
jerk shafts them with a trickery
hook through the lips and hauls 
them violently in, and then proceeds
to rip that same hook, barb and all,
out the lips and throw you down
on the slimy deck to gasp and gag,
flip and flop, in wide-eyed, waterless
terror until you suffocate slowly.
-
Oh, did I mention how then they rip
you apart with knifes, scrap off your
scales, tear open your gills, probably
chop your head off, and then thinly
fillet you, all so they can fry and
eat you while declaiming the good
and fresh delicacy of taste and aroma
you represent? Life's a real joy.
-
I go to the ocean now, and still hate
it. People fight wars and die over shit
like this  -  watery quadrants, unseen
and invisible, claimed by one or the
other side of which band of miscreants
owns the present coastline. Guns and
gunboats, the entire range of weaponry
and death, afloat on the same wine-sea
as the one that trip up Odysseus. Why?
-
I was never the kind to be easily
entertained. I never went to concerts
or crowd venues and the three times,
honestly, that I have, it's been miserable.
I've always been ore than happy to
drive people to their concert destinations
and find something to do for four hours
or whatever  -  Beacon Theater, Count
Basie, Holmdel, Madison Square
Garden even, whatever, but no
thanks for the rest. If I'm going to
partake of something, it's pretty much
going to be mine. Not much else will
do, and I certainly don't need or seek
to be entertained. That's for mob
monkeys, in my mind. I'm a reader.
The solitary sort. And I don't know
what any of this fishing and boating
crap was called, but I hated that too.
Keep it far away from me.
-
My feelings about fish and maritime
things are about the same as my 
feelings about meat : nasty, cruel, 
not needed, and horrid. Everybody 
thinks a fish  is a cinch to kill and 
eat, because they're stupid, slimy 
blobs. I don't buy that theory. I 
know we've all gotta' eat something, 
but my choices, I hope, stay mostly 
to grains and seeds, as much as 
I can anyway. The simple, quiet life,
that's me. One of my friends never ate
chicken, just that alone, and his
reasoning went : 'I never eat 
anything that has its pecker on 
its face.' I always thought that
was pretty funny, and good too.
If you're a chicken.
-
I don't know what 'Eden' was like.
If it was by the coast, or if there 
was water, fish, and all that. (It
never seems so, in the stories). 
But whatever food choices there 
may have been present, I'd bet 
they were pretty circumspect  
-  even with all that 'take 
dominion over the animals 
on land, fish in the sea, and 
birds in the sky,' or whatever 
the quote was  supposed to be. 
I never believed it for a minute.








,

No comments: