Monday, December 10, 2018

11,383. RUDIMENTS, pt. 529

RUDIMENTS, pt. 529
(insipid vacillation : ohio)
Most of this life is
insipid. In fact, an
insipid wreck  -  even
the ones who are not,
are. Presidents, and
Popes. A real bunch
of schmucks. Being
considered 'not insipid'
just means you've
powered the fake play
better than others; have
been running through
the open cupboards
unseen. What's any
of it worth? Beats me.
At least when you're
a kid you find out at
Christmas.
-
When I had that
motorcycle office in
Metuchen, I'd get
visitors of all sorts.
The landlord was a
local Metuchen guy
with a lot of property
holdings in Metuchen,
and Woodbridge, and
Perth Amboy too. One
day he came by in a
big huff, all fired up
that I should go with
him  -  so he drove me
over to Perth Amboy,
where he owned a string,
hell, a street, of duplexes,
and in the basement of
one that had just emptied
out he'd found this "old
motorcycle leaning up
against a wall, half covered
by a tarp..." At first he called 
it a 'bike' and I said no. 
Terminology and all. But he
meant motorcycle. The bells
in his money-mind went off,
thinking it was worth a
billion bucks, some grand
antique, and could I get
it out for him, maybe see
if it worked, get it running,
what did I think it was
worth, and all that. I
took one look and just
had to laugh. It was a
piece of crap maybe early
1980's or such, Honda
Goldwing. That was Honda's
early answer to those big
Harleys with the saddlebags
and containers, radios and
windscreens. This one had
seen the other side of the
moon  -  plastic padding
coming out the torn seat,
bad wheels and tires, dents,
and all the rest. I stood there
gaping. Poor fellow  -  I
had to decide whether I
should level with the guy,
continue with some fake
interest in what 'might be'
an important find. I told
him it was maybe,
stressing maybe, worth
400 bucks IF he could
find someone who was
interested. I wasn't, and
told him I knew of no one
who would be. Never did
find out what he did over
it. At that time there was
still a St. Vincent de Paul
Mission Society store in
downtown Perth Amboy,
just stacked with 12 dollar
crap for sale. That's really
where it belonged.
-
One of the first places I
went to, after getting started
with the motorcycle rap, was
an old slimy Perth Amboy
bar called The Schooner
Tavern. An old time dump
from days before  -  when
people still cared about the
waterfront and news scoops
and real journalism. Amboy
used to be good like that.
A solid newspaper or two.
Bill George, a guy I got to
know when I covered the
town meetings for the Star
Ledger, including Perth
Amboy, was one of those
restless, inveterate reporter
types who got an everyone's
nerves. I used to love watching
him in action  -  meetings,
reporting, even running for
varied offices. He eventually
got run down and killed
walking along one of the
local roadways. Hmmm.
Always made me wonder
there too; sorta' just like
the Pelzman deal here. I
tend to not believe anyone.
The Schooner's long gone
now too, but the only people
who really drank there, at
one time were tough-assed 
bikers and drunk locals,
before the whole town went
Spanish and the Biker
element flaked away.
-
One time, again at that
ABATE office in Metuchen
I've mentioned other times,
the local cops came by
and wanted to know what
was up. I had been getting
a lot of visits from one of
the one-percenter club guys,
and they wanted to know
why. I told them, in my
best Biker accent, it was all
about picking up Girl Scout
Cookies. No, just kidding.
There was an ordinance
in town about NO colors
(club-jacket insignias on
the backs) on motorcycle
riders in town, and I'd been
getting a constant stream
of just that, riding, in fact,
right past town hall. They
asked me to clue them in,
please, before they'd be
forced to start pullovers
and writing tickets, and
they were 'sure' there'd
be other violations they
could find. Now, I might
have just said 'Do it
yourself, copper,' but
I didn't. I told the next
few visitors what was
up, and they were cool
about it, and  I also
showed them the other
way out of town so as
NOT to have to pass
the town hall and police
headquarters. Nothing
ever came of it, and they
just began turning their
club-vests inside out within
Metuchen. Kind'a weird.
The cops later did send
someone back to ask me
what I knew about any
impending club stuff and
what was up if I knew,
and I answered, 'Oh,
nothing. They're just
always fighting over who
owns the playground.'
(Meaning Biker turf wars,
which were always ongoing).
He said, back to me, 'Who
owns the playground? Well
you tell them back, from me,
WE own the playground and
they shouldn't forget that.'
Enough said, I suppose.
-
Sometimes, I figured, it's 
all just 'give it up' time. 
The needed energies and 
interests are all just too 
diffuse, wasted away,
spread and gone. Who
wants to listen to today's 
crap? One quarter of the
people my age now, even
those I went through all
this with ('peer group' and
all that stupid crap) are
drinkers or refiners, too
far gone to catch the cat.
Another half again are
just wandering around
with that 'what happened' 
dead scrawl on their faces.
There's a few with guns and
a few with bombs; a few
still dead. I like to think I
left it all behind and just
walked off into my own
sunset of words and subtlety.
And I'd swear to you I did.
But who knows. I said it
was all insipid already.
-
I forget how all that goes,
but if the friend of my 
enemy is my enemy too, 
or the enemy of my friend
is my enemy too, then
isn't it all the same, and 
what matters? One time
I was sitting out in Yellow
Springs, Ohio  -  not doing
anything, just watching
stuff, sitting in the streetside
gazebo area of some coffee
and bookstore kind of place.
Called itself the 'Epic' Bookstore,
where, using that old squib,
'An unexamined life isn't
worth living,' people sat
around reading. Hmmm?
I had a camera with me.
There was a guy sitting off
behind me; sure enough.
white bearded and all, he 
comes over and says, 
'Don't I know you?' like
we went to high school
together or something. I
said, (in my best Ohio 
accent), 'No, I don''t know,
or I don't think I know,
why are you asking, are 
you an assassin?' Now
that's a long stretch of time,
and this is true, between
Avenel and NYC and this
here Yellow Springs and
Antioch College stuff, but
he was reading Herzog so
I said to him , 'Sit down.
We'll talk.' I figured him
not to be any trouble, and 
anyway nobody in their
right mind reads 'Herzog'
any more, so I figured he
was cool. I'd heard of
Chillicothe, Ohio, a Hell's
Angels town, but I didn't
figure him for that. I'd
known the Outlaws, and
motorcycle club band of
drifters was out that way
too  -  Chicago to Ohio,
not so bad. I always just
liked making sure  -  this
stuff all carries. So I said,
'You know that's pretty
dangerous out here just
coming up to someone to
ask stuff like that. What if
that had gone bad, what
would you have done, or
what would you'd have
figured for me to do?
Is that in that book 
you're reading?' I was
up to being sarcastic, 
because I like to watch
the things people do. 
He was pretty cool, a
regular veteran. 'No,' 
he said, 'it wasn't 
nothing like that. You
just looked like maybe
I would have known 
you, or heard of you, 
or something.' I get
that often enough, I never
know what people are 
thinking. There was a
bar across the street,
the Trailside or something,
and I probably should have
been over there anyway, 
except my dog was with 
me. There were two
motorcycles out front 
there, but nothing
worth squabbling over.
So that guy and I sat
there, just talking, but
only a little bit. I saw he
had some sort of bicycle
there up at the wall, and
I realized the uncrossable
divide sometimes with
the word 'Biker.' I mean
one thing, and the bicycle
folk, they always mean
something else. Just
about as insipid as all
that can be. We parted 
with a handshake.
Unexamined lives?
For sure...

No comments: