Sunday, December 16, 2018

11,400. RUDIMENTS, PT. 535

RUDIMENTS, pt. 535
(play me them 88's)
I've had five pianos in my
life, and that's leaving, I
think, one out, along with
the plank of wood that my
father had painted up as
a piano keyboard initially,
back when I was 6, which
then became my starting
concept-piano upon which
I'd 'silently' practice the
week's lessons and not hear
until at the piano teacher's
house each Friday. Very
weird, but we did get a
piano, within, I guess, a
year. Maybe if being deaf
was cool enough for old
Beethoven it was supposed
to work for me too; 'cept he
didn't 'start out that way.'
I'm not sure my folks even
knew about any of that
anyway. It gives a whole
new meaning to the idea
of 'tone-deaf,' and, yeah,
I can just shrug and say,
'Well, that's how I learned.'
The piano thing has always
weaved a strange thread
through my life : the silent
starting of music, and the
train crash, which of course
happened at age 8 on a
return trip home from
Claire Avenue, Woodbridge,
where my first piano teacher,
a Miss Frank, lived, with her
mother. Yes, yes, her first
name really was Ann. Not
sure if there was an E or not.
(music joke too?)...She
eventually, both her and
her mother, relocated to
Atlantic City where she'd
taken a teaching job at some
music academy. I never saw
her again until, one day, after
my mishmash of death and
recuperation from the train
accident, she came over to
the house all blubbering about
seeing me alive again, wishing
me love, laughter, and life,
and checking to see if I still 
had ten fingers. Piano teachers
worry about things like that.
-
We did finally get a bar-room
piano that my father had
filched up somewhere for
25 bucks. I forget how it
got to the house, but they
waltzed it in. It spent its
initial time in the basement.
My next piano teacher, a
Mr. Novak, he came to the
house once a week and we
rattled on. He wasn't much
of a guy, to me, and I never
really got on much with him.
He stopped coming, I guess.
The next guy was the coolest,
and I stayed with him the
longest. I'd ride up some
street in Woodbridge, along
Rahway Ave., on my bicycle,
right over the same tracks where
I'd gotten creamed before. I
never gave any of that a second
thought and, as a kid, never
cared much to be aware of or
re-visit the scene of that mess.
I've written a lot of this piano
lesson stuff before, way back,
so I won't drag kit all back out.
-
Sometimes I feel that I view a
lot of this life stuff through the
prism of a piano viewpoint. The
manner of it all now is vastly
different  -  synthesizers and
artificial notes and all that  - 
but the essential basis of piano
musicianship is, I'd suppose,
clarity, poise, steadiness, and
tuneful strength. That's a
pretty primitive point of view
and it would get me laughed 
out of court, probably. But
it's how I feel (take it from a
guy who learned on a silent
board). The piano war out 
there that's always going on
is a war against guitars. Isn't
that weird? Guitars, electric
or not, have taken over in
the minds of the vast majority 
of people, the defining grid of
what a 'music' is supposed to be.
The piano, by rights, ought hate
the guitar. It's all wrong of course,
but we live now in tribal ways,
where the strongest and loudest
noise around the campfire does
tend to get and fixate the tribal
attentions. So, the guitar wins.
But everything else is wrong,
so why not that too. People
who don't know what they're 
talking about will talk about 
what they call 'Music,' and they'll
assume you share all their points
and considerations. Even though
it's not true. You can read all this
guitar crap  -  about open-tuning,
the joys and powers of chords
and riffs, the power of bass and
the drive of rhythm. The Velvet
Undergound, let's say, Lou Reed,
held in highest honor  -  all D-note
crap. Drone D, with flitting inner
notes in between, and a steady.
bound beat and bass beneath it.
Maybe it's nice and all, but none
of that's ever what it's cracked
up to be. There's no purity. The
best guitar stuff I've ever heard 
is by guys like Django Reinhardt, 
or Enrique Granados or  Juaquin 
Rodrigo, or Manuel deFalla; but 
that's all pretty much different stuff
too. When Ritchie Havens broke 
on the radio scene, about 1966,
with 'High Flyin' Bird' he was
played up as a poor Harlem kid
who came up playing open-tuned
songs on street-corners. It was
all bullshit, but it sounded like 
a good story. Damned business
people, to sell records they just
make shit up. What if I told you
the entire world was like that?
-
A guitar allows you to bend notes.
Like bending the truth. Like a lie.
You can't do that on a piano. You've
got a note. And that's what you've 
got - the only thing you can work
with is its singular, notational,
purity in consort with the next,
note, or if fused into a chord, the
next internal shift of that chord.
Then that unit makes its own
whole, and you can shift the
whole, maybe, into its next
segment. But no bending. 
No lies. It's all truth. 
-
I used to be more interested in
piano stuff that I was in normal
boy-kid stuff. I played a lot of
baseball in the early years, but
even that was just recreational
blow-off time, pretending I
was a more normal kid than 
I was. My head was more stuck
in the unseen declarations of
a music that, perhaps, only I
was hearing  - and it's still
like that. Around myself, I
never hesitate. Around others, 
I'm always in hesitation. Why
that all is, I never know. There
used to be a phrase in use about
school and outside and all, about
other people taking responsibility
for you. When you were out
by yourself. 'In Loco Parentis.'
It meant like 'in place of the
parents.' Stupidest idea in the
world, because now it's all
allowed the state to take your
kids from you, lock them in
daytime school buildings, put 
a cop-car outside, and freeze
your kid in place so they can
fill the head with their crap.
Crap only as they see it through
the approved, dictatorial ends
of the psychotic mass of today's
society. If I had a kid today, 
I'd probably smother it with a
pillow and save it all the trouble
of later. But anyway, what I
was saying, 'Music' and its
theory, early on, took the 
place  of parents to me. In 
Loco Parentis indeed, and 
my parents  -  I don't think  -  
weren't exactly loco.
-
So the sum total of my life 
now, is, having never gotten a
thing from anyone else, a deck
chair on the Titanic, or a nice
porch seat in a place called
Shithaven. You know Beethoven
basically means 'Beet Haven'  -
I guess some family lineage of
some Kraut village heavy on
the beets. What that tells you
about Shithaven, for me, I'll
leave to you.
-
Getting back to music (boy, do
I ever get off track), the jazz
guys that I started hanging with
in those night-lofts, they kept
to their own points of view about
music, hardly even calling it
that. I wasn't really even a
part of them. To begin with, I
was a young, stupid white kid.
These guys were already in
their 30's, wired, wise, mean,
angry, drug-addled, and 
sometimes nasty too. Violence
was the edge of their outer
limits  -  like a fiery solo, a
run with crazy notes, a twist
and a fill. I never contradicted;
I just did what they wanted  -
cigarettes, get some coffee,
let their crazy and beautiful
women in, while admiring them
too but keeping my filth-trap
shut. Learning on two feet is
two-fisted learning. Those guys
would punch with notes, they'd
blast their crazy solos over and
atop everything, the sound would
crawl the walls and shiver your
spine  -  sometimes you could
feel it in your blood-flow. To me, 
a lot of it was just too-much: crap,
crowded, noisesome. Like any
other social music, just there to
keep the chatter building. I
tired of it; some of that jazz
was just too much.
-
Social music? Boy isn't that a
strange phrase? What else is it ever
supposed to be? I always wondered.
Jazz? Nightclubs? Cocktail Lounges?
Seduction scenes in old noir movies?
None of that had anything really
to do with me, and I sure never did
want that anyway. All through life
it always seems the intense and
the personal always get dragged
away and are the first to go. Like
tourists, flying to Spain, everyone
just ends up with air-headed babble,
and happy for it.


No comments: