Monday, December 17, 2018

11,404. RUDIMENTS, pt. 536

RUDIMENTS, pt. 536
(no exit)
None of these piano people,
I ever felt, directed any real
words or learning at me. It
was just rote  - here it is, do
this, learn it. I'd come back
the next week, they'd play
for me what I was about to
play for them, in my paltry
and unpracticed way, and
then I'd play it, and then
they'd play it back again, for
me, perhaps showing me how
wrong I'd been, where I'd
flubbed up, or, just how well,
by contrast, they were. It was
a humiliating way to have to
learn anything, made little
sense to me, got boring very
quickly, and fostered a certain
contempt. I could have done it
all just as well with a tape 
recorder. These jerks just
wanted their 35 dollars, or
whatever the hour was
supposed to have cost. I
admit, here and now, that
during the course of a week's
time I really didn't press too
hard on learning the stuff.
maybe if I played it twenty
times or so that was a lot.
The Schirmer's books, they
were OK. They sure were
pretty too  -  that nice yellow
color on the covers, the
stylized cleft they used
for a logo. It was all pretty
cool. One thing I never got
was how, it was said, I had
a cleft in my chin  - which
was supposed to be nice,
and the music scales also
had a cleft, but bearing no
relation, certainly, to my
chin. Yes, of course, I
learned later that one was
a clef and one was a cleft.
But what's a 7 year old know
about that stuff? Point is,
anyway, that no one ever
really explained a damned
thing to me. Or if they did
I never heard it, but I did
listen all the time. It seemed
to me that music education
could have been a lot nicer  -
even in this informal, and
non-conservatory format, if
someone had just treated it
all a bit differently  -  the
theory of keys and timing,
for instance, and the ideas
of syncopation, stretch,
duration,  staccato, grace
notes, and the rest. I had
to learn all that either on
my own or from surmising
what was going on in a
composer's mind as I
played, or tried to, through
some of the stuff.
-
Composer's mind! I used to
think  -  what a magnificent
thing! I played, because I
had to, week after week also,
the endless scales and chords
crap I abhorred  -  as horrid,
repetitious, without context,
to me; all a seeming aimless
exercise. In retrospect, of
course, I can now see that
they were not that at all  -
they were necessary, brutal,
and muscular breakdowns
and component exercises
for the learning of chords
and fingering too, and the
means of an adept and swift
conquering of the dexterity
needed to manage what
was being done. But again,
it was all presented to me
as pure drear, a dreadful
25 minutes of wastefulness.
Had someone just better
explained.
-
I ended up approaching 'music'
much as I did mathematics
in school  -  a subject I did
not like at all, though numbers
came easy enough. It was all
the methodical figuring and
formulas that I could not take
a liking to. I managed getting
the needed answers, yes, and
quickly enough as well, but
apparently I never could
'explain' how I'd gotten there
without using the accepted
schoolroom formula  -  which
I never used. It was the same
with this music  -  never fully
broken out or explained to me,
I got to it anyway, but in my
own manner. My problem was
in accepting anything done by
those old composers and all as
anything I needed to perfectly
replay. That's what I never
understood  -  and I soon did
realize that perfect renditions
of old 18th century and other,
Minuets, Sonatas, Sonatinas,
Gavottes, Courtly Dances, and
all of that, was purely for the
purposes of the instructor  -
having something objective to
go by in order to judge me, or
any new player. It made no
sense to me. Why would I
care to reproduce exactly
something done in the early
19th century, in 1959? That
was all dead stuff -  we had
spacecraft, radio, TV, lights,
roadways, cars, travel, new
medicine. We had an entire
and new world of new things.
They'd never even have imagined
the view I had of things  -  why
should I then slavishly replay
their old music when I could
do it, yes, but in my own way,
reflecting my own being and
vibrancy. My tunes were and
would always be, recognizable
'Fur Elise' versions, yes, but
in my own way on my own
terms. I liked to play with time,
break the structures of the old
thoughts and rigors, adding
notes, adding or eliding new
phrases, twists on things, even
breaking into ad-libs and playful
sidebars. It was all music to me,
from and of the heart and mind.
Why needed I to be in their old
prison, doing their old, frozen
in time, stuff? I begrudged no
one  -  don't get me wrong  -
there were plenty of people
who perfectly enjoyed their
reinvigorating of old skeletons,
and that was fine by me. I
was just determined to make
my own, new, bones and 
structures.
-
I sensed, even back then, all 
of what I'd be up against. I'd
just been dead, for a while,
and came back from some 
weird depth of sacred space
where round was square and 
square could be round if you
first accepted any of those
designations but didn't have
to. Who said trains kill you?
They were wrong there too.
-
I knew no one had ever come
up against someone like me.
I knew that, and my ways and
tactics were sure to disorient
them. But I was ready, and I
was set to go, primed for
battle, and willing to accept
the upcoming years of my
needed preparation in the
wilderness. To this day, no
one knows what to make 
of me, or my ways, or my 
tactics. They're all still gaping.
-
One of my grandmothers died
in a nuthouse. There are a few
photos of her, somewhere,
taken by my father, of her in
her coffin, dead, at the wake,
or viewing, or mourning  -
whatever any of that is. It's
an old custom, I'm told, to
do that, though it's no longer
done, or I never see it. I can
hardly remember her, but we
did visit  -  a strange, babbling,
whitehaired lady in a long
hospital robe. I'm not even
sure what she spoke was
English; but it was something.
I never talked to her, just 
stayed around. We'd go visit 
her in her sanitarium or
whatever it was, Greystone,
as I recall. Her attendant
would bring her out and 
turn her over to us for a 
few hours and, with some
sort of picnic and lunch 
idea, we'd go out to the
large grassy, inclined lawns
and sit out, eating on blankets
and such, while talking and
smiling. Woody Guthrie
was in there too, suffering 
from whatever that Lou
Gehrig disease thing is where
you lose all muscle control,
Hodgkin's lymphoma or
something. I never saw him
though  -  didn't even know
 about him back then. My 
grandmother had somehow
been convinced that one of
my sisters had been named
after her, so for these visits
we had to 'pretend' name 
her, calling her that other 
name which wasn't hers.
Nothing mattered; she was 
only like a year old. It 
seemed sometimes to me 
that the entirety of life 
was all a fiction  -  just 
piles of crap that we all 
stack up and convince 
each other is real. It's a 
nasty concoction. I was
always trying to find ways
out. And then I read that
play by Sartre: 'No Exit.'




No comments: