Tuesday, December 11, 2018

11,387. RUDIMENTS, pt. 530

RUDIMENTS, pt. 530
(didn't othello kill Desdemona?)
Pt. #1  - Dear Poster Boy: The first 
thing you should know - 
RIGHT off the bat - is 
that this is not the usual. 
In a continuing effort 
to stay fresh, I want to
lay out a new approach
for today's post. My source
of 'sweat equity', if you will.
Serious writing; content, the
thought, creativity and format. 
This one is a simple case of 
looking back, straight-shooting 
and blasting at whatever and 
whomever I feel. OK? So 
then, enough said. Let's 
begin with post-Avenel
1967: Here I am: 509 
east 11th St. Sick and 
tired of  the moment, 
momentarily, at least. 
I can't believe the crap
that passes these days
for what I have to pick
from - the effusive beauties
with the greasy teeth, and
broken-handed fey-boys 
wearing jodphurs and 
boots and looking like 
some dumpy bum-old
statesman out cutting 
brush. Everybody runs 
to the Television God 
like goons on a campus 
of fools. Their names 
all ring bells : Jethro, 
Jared, Barry and Ted. 
(Universal soldiers all).
There's nothing to 
do but NOD nod nod 
and listen : name after 
name of popular shifted 
personalities, plots of 
inane shows, twisted
and anti-cultural climbers 
swerving towards their 
ignorance. Hare Krishna
blah, blah - strange '67
shape-shifting creeps 
creating stories from 
nothing and even Nat 
Hentoff blows the penny 
whistle too - Vestry Street 
Vesey Street - he's fooled 
them all. But all they 
want to do is [evidently] 
go forward. That's their 
speed. That's his too - 
midget caretaker doctor 
of weed, fist-fighter of 
the constant urge. The 
first thing to go with 
these little cruds is 
the name : make 
something up, pile 
it on, make up an 
identity and sell 
it to the public, 
one bullshit story 
after another - and 
then tell people still 
something else anew. 
(Make up a story. Do 
what you do. Bubonic 
plague coming at YOU!). 
People have lived their 
entire lives without a 
knowledge of any of this 
stuff 'cept what they've 
heard around the 
water-cooler, and all 
of a sudden they're the 
TV experts of the 
century on stuff which 
suddenly is clear to 
them and makes sense :
"He's funny! witty! And
we understand him now 
too! All he used to do 
was MUMBLE!" (But 
Mama, if he would just 
DIE and seal up this 
petty career).
-
And then around from

the 4th Street corner 
comes Dave Van Ronk 
and Phil Ochs and ME - 
swatting flies all the way 
to 11th Street next to 
Paradise Alley right 
where I lived when 
someone tells me
there's a dead body 
in my steamer trunk - 
the very foot-locker 
that my grandaddy 
came over with or
something like that 
('my friends, we better
hide'), and now they've 
stuffed  it with Billy Joe 
and Holly or one or the 
other, and they used 
to live just upstairs 
from me in a hovel 
all their own - but 
trading places (back 
then) meant something 
much different and 
drugs were the draw 
and the drawer was 
filled with drugs - 
thanks to Andy Bonamo 
undercover narc FBI 
plant stoolie and some 
other kid with a left-handed 
trigger finger peeling 
tens like pennies from 
the cat at the door and 
he says "never paid a 
month's rent with money 
y'see - and that bastard 
outside thinks he's 
gunning for me but 
I got his number here 
on the third floor - I 
can plink him in an 
instant and they'd 
never find the blood" : 
but that was too long 
ago Suzi Ruotolo. Sheeut 
man! I knew 'em all - 
Imiri Baraka before he 
was that and Philip Guston 
after. Allen Ginsberg, and
William Burroughs too. Tuli
Kupferberf, Ed Sanders, and 
how! All that was a long time 
ago. ('But I  was so much 
older then; I'm younger
than that now...').
-
My mother used to always
talk about people being on
'Easy Street.' Where she'd
have liked to be too  -  it was
a curious phrase to me, and
I often wondered about it. 
Sometimes I used to think, 
later on, that maybe that was
the allure for me of all this
cars and motorcycles stuff, 
always blasting around 
looking for Easy Street.
She never told me the
street was closed, it was a
dead-end, a cul de sac.
-
"How is it that a dead 
body can get in the wrong 
funeral parlor?" I asked 
that once of two yokels 
in Bangor, Pennsylvania 
and all they did was laugh 
hysterically. What I meant 
was that there were TWO 
funeral parlors of the 
same name in that 
rinky-dink town and 
my friend's body was 
- evidently - in the 
OTHER one. Well,
we did eventually find it; 
it, but as much as they
laughed, that's as much 
as we thought about it 
ALL THE WAY HOME.
I used to be the tiniest 
bit involved in local 
politics, until I found 
out politicians were all 
liars. They sat me down 
one night, around a large 
rectangular table, the 
entire group of local 
pols seething with the 
resentment of those 
who run scared and 
are afraid of change, 
and asked me question 
after question - much 
as happens on a larger 
scale in any of the media 
circus hearings for justices 
or appointments to 
administrations - and 
I realized (to be sure) 
that what these clowns 
were actually doing 
was making sure that 
I did not possess ANY, 
not one, individual, 
unique or authentic 
thought about anything. 
They were scared that 
I would become not 
THEIR candidate but
my own candidate and 
thus represent the 'people' 
amidst whom I lived (who 
were, of course viewed 
NOT as 'people' but as 
pliable and stupid interest
groups and vote-mobs 
to be manipulated, 
lied-to, stolen from, 
etc., all in order to 
maintain incumbency 
and all the rest). There 
isn't a political person 
around who cares a 
damn about the people 
they represent - and 
if they say they do 
they're STILL lying. 
I've seen it from the 
inside-out (my own
interest in all this
lasted about two days. 
I was dropped like 
news of the plaque 
once my name and 
story hit the newspapers. 
I was told there were 
people in town who 
'wanted my head.').
'I came, fella's for your
funeral, but I went to 
the wrong place.'
-
In one of the bookstores
I worked at, one day we 
were told we had to take 
and move, or make sure 
that, any copy of the 
Koran for sale in our 
Islam religion section 
was on shelving which 
was higher than three 
feet (or maybe it was 
four feet, I actually 
forget) from the floor 
- as the Koran cannot 
be closer to the ground 
than that or it is deemed 
sacrilegious or whatever 
the Muslim equivalent 
of that is. So we raised 
them up. I asked if that 
meant that a Muslim 
child of less than that 
height could not hold 
or walk while holding 
a Koran, and was told 
yes, that's exactly what 
it means. That sure 
seems like a stupid 
stipulation to me - 
worrying (once again) 
about the 'appearance' 
of things rather than 
the REALITY of the 
things themselves. 
As if any LORD would 
care about a human 
measurement or a 
positioning of the 
material object 
representing the 
Word or whatever. 
It reminded me of 
the extreme reactions 
of really dense and 
stupid people - of 
which there are just 
as many, believe me, 
of the Christian faith 
- who regard slavish 
dedication and fealty 
to fixed, artificial 
and rather random 
rules about things 
and allow that to 
take over their lives. 
Much like the Catholics 
who make the sign of 
the cross on their heads 
as they walk by a church. 
What fealty to what 
motivation is that? 
GOD is watching sacred 
ground? Making sure 
the servile pig passing 
makes the sign of the 
cross? Measuring and 
ascertaining the exact 
angle of walk and 
distance which 
delineates walking 
IN FRONT of an 
edifice? I think not - 
GIVE ME in fact 
A BREAK!! If GOD 
does not play dice 
with the universe 
(Einstein) neither 
does He measure its 
rank and file as they 
walk to and fro. Get 
that? And, in  addition, 
by the Relativity of God, 
there would be no 'front'
of the church, as angles 
intersect, and in the cosmic
wheel  all things blur.
(These folks demanded
an elevator in their
one-story church, 
St. Andrew's Church.
And they got it  -  an 
elevator in their 
one-story church, for
the basement? 'Scuse me,
what? Shouldn't it only go 
one-way. Up you'd hope.
But they got it, and
air-conditioned too)
One of my best memories
are of the sweltering days
in that high-arch'd
church before AC was
installed : the heat was
unique, and I've never
since experienced that
atmosphere of presence.
A chilled church never
achieves that sense; nor
does an 'elevator' give it
any sense.
-
Doesn't it seem 
that there are no 
original thinkers 
any more - no one 
to call what is IS 
and what isn't 
ISN'T? Instead, 
we're run by the 
monsters of assembly 
hall and school, the 
hooded masters of 
thought and conjecture, 
the Big Brothers of the 
manacle'd oppression. 
Call it politics, call it 
education, call it 
whatever you will - 
it's all CONTROL 
and massive fraud. 
(Don't believe a word 
you hear until you 
source it out yourself)....
Didn't Othello kill
Desdemona?
-
Now I lay me down to 
sleep. I pray the Lord 
my soul to keep....



No comments: