Saturday, December 22, 2018

11,416. RUDIMENTS, pt. 541

RUDIMENTS, pt. 541
(1929, knifed by negro)
I'd have to admit, I've 
managed to keep things 
moving along but I'm
constantly nervous about 
it all and it's been many 
a time I've had to keep 
myself from 'ending' this
whole mess early. Doing 
it myself just seems such 
a chore, and so messy, that 
I end up not having the 
energy to even start. See,
being lazy has its benefits,
I guess. I know a few places 
up in the Catskills, abandoned 
cabins and such deep in the 
woods, where I could do 
anything I wanted to myself 
and probably just remain 
there dead until the next 
Spring arrives. I don't know 
what's around up in those 
parts that could have a
feast on me  -  bear I guess  -
but here's hoping they'd
leave a little something 
identifiable behind for 
the thaw (and the law).
-
It takes energy to fight back.
Way too much psychic energy, 
figured, to spar and punch like 
a boxer to overcome a simple
case of doubt and darkness, which
always passes. Life has its lights as
well as its darks. I'd figured long
ago to just wait it out, like that
frumpy guy in the bus station,
muttering in his slope-shoulder
coat. We all know one, I'm 
sure. I knew a few people 
over the years who've gone 
that way, off'd themselves. 
It's always sad; and it's
unforgettable too  -  because 
no matter what stupid 'steps' 
they take to leave plans 
and notes behind, it's still 
comes down to a vanity 
on their part, of some
sort : as if to say, 'there 
now, look, I've even been 
so thoughtful as to make 
these preparations FOR you.
Wasn't I nice?' Sure, and 
thanks. One guy I knew,
pretty much a weirded-out 
control freak anyway, 
talked about this  crap for 
years; no one  believed him, 
least of all me. He'd get 
all philosophical about 
the human right to exercise 
control over the ending 
of one's own life, and the
worthlessness of society
anyway, and all that. It 
sort of did irk me to have
to hear someone premise 
his ideas on some lofty 
and high-flying form of
exceptionalism, just to kill
himself 'with reason,' as if
it wasn't already irrational.
-
What sort of grandiosity, I 
wonder, is it, to have your
property wired  - a regular,
suburban size, large yard, 
with alarm and voice 
warnings at the gate, 
which rang out, 'Get out, 
go nor further, the owner 
is armed and will shoot.'
5 or 6 dead cars in the 
yard, and a rear fence 
section made of a few 
hulks of ancient Honda
small-displacement 
motorcycles. Two or 
more dogs, inside the 
house and property - 
Hungarian Kuvasz
dogs, and two Australian 
Shepherds. The guy leaves
the house unlocked (his
girlfriend has left him;
just another quarrel),
leaves out food for the 
dogs, a long and detailed
note  -  about what's been
done, where things are, 
where to look for this 
and that, and leaves the 
house keys on the table,
and then goes to the
message machine and 
changes the message; 
something about 'It's 
a perfect day to die.'
-
He goes out to his car,
well, no, one of those 
dead and long idled cars 
in his yard. In fact, it's
a Renault Le Car, some
quite ridiculous piece of
crap from the early 1980's.
The house doors, rear, have
been left open. Lights on
inside too. Foresight there
as well, dogs to run free in
the yard. food around, lights
on and doors open maybe 
to attract neighbors. Which 
happens, actually, 2 or so
days later as the barking
dogs do finally attract
attention. Oh, should I
mention, he's by this time 
two days dead in that stupid 
car, blood and brain splattered
windows and windshield,
from the inside, sort of
covering up the scene of,
of, a crime? That's what the
police called it, with their 
yellow 'crime-scene' tape.
From the neck up, I'm told,
there wasn't much left.
-
There is a funny part to this
story; if looked at that way.
For funeral purposes, this body
needed to be shipped back,
embalmed and in a coffin, 
I guess), to Avenel, for the
services and burial through 
Costello, Avenel Street. In
what I recall as 2004. He got
the body, called me, and asked
if I wanted an 'open casket!'
Then he said he 'didn't suggest 
it, because there's not much 
there.' I had to laugh. In fact, I
had to keep myself, in honor of his
childhood, to keep from saying,
'Yes. just put a Hopalong Cassidy
mask in its place at the head.'
-
I don't dwell, can't dwell.
Over at the Catholic Church
corral, I think there are, or
were, some strictures against 
suicide. I'm not sure if that's 
the case any longer, but the 
intent is the same  -  Jeez,
man-up and stand against
something, OK? Another 
time, over in the printing
district of old Manhattan,
in the Holland Tunnel area,
another friend one day is
being taken out, by a crane
or something, in a body 
bag, from the upper floor
of the city dwelling he
lived in. He didn't live
there any more. What's 
that call of the wild, I 
always wondered; what's 
the lure of the unknown.
For myself, I never had
that sort of 'curiosity' that
would take me past points
of no return. My life's
been too boring.
-
Another family surprise;
something that only just 
recently jumped out at me.
As a kid, maybe 8, maybe 9,
I met some great uncle or
Grandma's cousin or  something, 
at a visit to my Grandmother's
house in Bayonne. I never got
the story straight, he had been
some half-famous boxing 
champion, light-weight
or middleweight class, or
something. It was a story.
He had 'cauliflower' ears,
or one anyway  -  which is 
what boxers get after being
hit on the side of the head for
so many times  -  just a big,
fat, red ear, all veined and
dark looking. And he had 
like a flattened nose; another
boxing trait. All I remember
mainly is a trick he showed
me, by having his cigar smoke,
seemingly, come out his ears.
I don't know how he did it,
what the trick may have been,
but it was captivating to me.
It was a big joke, cracked the
room right up. I never saw
him again either; he was like
mythological to me. Micky
Ballerino, it was said; my
grandmother's old last name.
I forgot all about it, mostly, 
just another fog of the years.
And then, one day, I'm roaming
around here looking for things,
and I come across this fascinating,
startling, almost earth-shaking to
me, news clipping: (see it below.)
Just goes, I guess, to show you
never can tell; so you might as 
well stick around long enough to
see, and keep the damned dogs
from barking too.




No comments: