Monday, December 31, 2018

11,436. ABRAHAM LINCOLN AND THE KETTLE DRUM

ABRAHAM LINCOLN AND 
THE KETTLE DRUM
[There are places by the shovelful 
and they are filled with people and 
pickers and soldiers and sinners and 
gents who work flat on their backs 
and with derring-do they sit out 
eternity with nothing to do dressed 
in their finery their suits and last 
dresses and clothes chosen by children
for the last of those caresses but there's 
nothing to be done for they're crowding 
the lawn and so many people have 
passed us that the land of the dead is 
ten-fold plus vaster than the mere acre 
the living inhabit - Civil War Soldiers 
cry with Mesopotamians and the 
Chinamen scowl with Egyptians and 
African princes accompany Finns and 
Germans and Greeks and Hannibal 
I see plays cards with Socrates and 
Plato and there's nothing to be done:
'it drives me crazy all this crowding 
and clamor' and all I ever wanted to 
know was 'is there a graveyard for 
vegetable pickers?' but instead they 
said a mass for this guy out in the 
fields and they threw some dirt on 
his body as it was lowered into the 
hole and the stalks covered and hid 
the grave in secret and the foreman 
had one less to count that night one 
less bed was filled and he was short 
a man I'd guess but even if he knew 
what could he do because 'they fall 
like flies in this Autumn heat' and 
that's how I learned my lessons that's 
how I figured it out  -  reading books 
on the sloping lawns watching the 
workers pick peppers looking at men 
through their junkyard lenses figuring 
out girls while the brilliant sunlight 
shone through their slim dresses and 
left evidence of (at the least) what 
anatomy was and everything known 
to mankind (I would think) was alive 
in those fields for me to see and I saw 
(benediction of self 'Veni Vidi Vici' 
indeed) what I thought was Abraham 
Lincoln in person going down for 
his eternal flat rest still raw and 
bleeding but at peace (at least once) 
with himself - and the fastest growing 
field is the field of the martyrs' yield.]

No comments: