Friday, December 14, 2018

11,394. READING KAFKA ON TRAINS

READING KAFKA ON TRAINS
I used to read Kafka on trains
until someone told me to stop;
'Life is scary enough,' she said.
I knew at that point she was 
foolish, for 'scary' is not the 
word used for Kafka at all.
He's not scary, in any way :
the thrust of his motion is
'perplexing,' or maybe it's 
'confounding.' Something
with angst or the anxious.
-
I stopped, but first I said, 'No,
you must mean something else.
Poe, perhaps, or Stephen King?'
The parting female said not a
thing, just eyed me with suspicion
and a wary pair of eyes. 'Knowing
too much,' she said, 'really can get
you arrested, and the authorities
are right behind you, whether or
not you know it. I have come to
believe in all things, which is
believing in nothing at all.'

No comments: