Sunday, December 9, 2018

11,382. RUDIMENTS, pt. 528

RUDIMENTS, pt. 528
(here comes wayne davis)
I always had a lot of fun,
or if I wasn't having fun I
imagined that I was, and
then it was fun. Pretty
simple. I suppose that's
the way life goes. We
make accommodations.
It's a senseless proposition,
but I never cared. The way
the Devil gets you  -  screws
you down, nails you  -  is
by making you 'strive' for
things that first have to be
defined. A person then
becomes the sort who's
dependent on someone else
always telling him what
he's experience. Thus, the
need for horrible things like
Docents at old places, and
explainers. I know a guy
who's like that. I could take
him to the coolest old wrecks
of places in the world, but
it wouldn't mean anything
to him, or have any validity,
until first he had some geek
in front of him explaining
the 'official' site to him, and
weaving any and all of that
stupid story-line history
of the sort that Parks Depts.
and history places like to
give you. All bogus and
halfway made up anyway.
Like that Parker Press thing,
the little building, in
Woodbridge. It was never
there, in that location,
and the story line with
it is all crap and a fake
reconstruction. But people
fall for it constantly. Why?
Because it advances the
false mission of satisfying
Woodbridge's 'Need' for
prescribed History, false
or not. It's just being
a dullard.
-
Real history is in the dirt
and the nitty-gritty of what
we live. I got my head
busted up a few times in
stupid biker conflagrations.
I had a few friends in the
same situations. I made
mistakes, they made
mistakes, and so did
the assholes on the
other side. Whatever.
I could tell the stories,
yeah, but they're so
stupid for anyone who's
gone past sixth grade,
so why bother? It's truly
difficult now to consider
the things that people
used to flag and fight, and
and die, for. A dead guy
in Manville. And the perp.,
still in prison. Over nothing
at all except fashion. Well,
fashion with 'meaning'
behind it  -  but if someone
has nothing better to do that
walk around as fashion police,
what the heck is that about?
You're only as big as your
Bike, and your bike ain't
very big after all. It was a
racket, I later found out,
I was bound to lose in. One
day, I just got out. Dropped
it all and walked away.
-
My friend, or a friend
anyway, named Wayne,
he was always exemplary
for me, and for the strangest
reasons. He entered B&D
one day, some distributive
ed program or something,
and they started him out
sweeping floors; and he
never left, it was so good.
And in some few years he
was running that sales
counter like a wizard born
for the crystal ball. It was
just a perfect fit and good
fun too. He's still in the
business, and all around,
and better than ever. It just
goes to show  -  you don't
anyone 'splainin' things to
you, versifying all what's
right and proper, all the
antecedents and predilections
and all that crap. Don't need
no guide in  a museum like
that. You just do what the
spirit offers you  -  authentic
like and real. The rest just
always comes. And it's
good, and it's good.
-
The other day I mentioned
Oliver's, that St. George Ave.
bar place where we held
comedy court. One time,
after I got whomped pretty
good in Hoboken because
I'd pissed someone off in
Staten Island, my head was
split up, blood was running.
We got back on the bike
and scrammed-it back to
Oliver's, where I had a
friend or two waiting to
tend to my head. Another
time (decidedly, the 'other'
team. I've had the distinct
pleasure of being roughed
by all three sides of a
three-sided NJ Biker turf
war, ongoing.), I got back
from somewhere in Wall
Twsp., in pretty much the
same situation, This one,
I just got home, placed a
phone call, and (I guess)
the rest of it got straightened
out. This was some tough
shit, all around me  -  like
Terry Malloy and his brother,
in 'On the Waterfront'  - 
things could happen quickly.
That could be you, or your
family member, as in Terry's
case, hanging dead on that
chain link fence.
-
One thing I finally concluded,
and that conclusion drove me
right away, was that any attempt
by a bad-ass  -  local, Avenel,
Rahway, Elizabeth, Hoboken,
North Bergen or NYC or
Middletown NY too (had
my deals in all those places
and more  -  any time some
bad-ass decides its time to
go legit, move away from
it fast. The bad dudes are
bad. Period, and that's just
the way they are. It's the
schmucks  -  like me, and
like others who should have
known better  -  fringe
characters a bit out of their
league, who do things like
walking both sides of the
plank, like Biker and some
ABATE crap legitimacy ,
who are wrong. You can't
do that stuff. You can't,
let's say, butter toast on
both sides and expect,
when it falls, it going
to fall butter side up. It's
like 'till death do us part,'
and brother, watch out.
You can't pretend you're 
bad just because you ride 
and you've some big, old cigar 
in your craw. These other guys
do it all, for real, and much
better than you.
-
Trying to stay on a straight,
and maybe narrow, line in
these sorts of situations just
doesn't work. I was out of my
element, and I knew it, and  -
like so much else of my life  -  
I was putting out effort for 
nothing. You can't read
Dickens to the residents
of a cow-barn. You don't
diagram sentences in a 
school for the blind. You
don't serve gourmet fodder
to people with no tongues.
One time there was  - and
this is probably a ringer
for me too  -  coming down
my street, from off Route
One, and down along Inman,
right past my house, when
I was maybe 9 or 10, a string
of a few of the loudest, most
brutish, nastiest, motorcycle
guys ripping along on their
Harleys  -  helmetless, back
then, having a grand old time
of it  -  I could tell  -  and
meaningful about it too. I
heard them coming, and I
went flying out my front 
door to watch. Just 
mesmerized, staring, 
was I, as they roared
by. It wasn't much, but 
I felt as if I had seen 
the other side, done the 
reckoning, saw the grace,
and 'been to the mountain'
With never no need to ever
be legit. I wasn't going to 
need no squishy 'docent' 
type to tell me the life I'd 
witnessed. That was a 
whole other side of the
authenticity coin I'd be 
trading in. My atmosphere
was, rather, a deep, moist,
greenhouse wherein new
things were growing.



No comments: