Wednesday, December 26, 2018

11,425. RUDIMENTS, pt. 546

RUDIMENTS, pt. 546
(aw, go on, who cares about you?)
Sometimes I go off the deep
end, over things  -  like hats.
I like wearing a hat and I often
switch things around; different
sorts, etc. Some men, I've noticed,
seem to wear hats because of
baldness or losing hair or, perhaps
some form of self-consciousness
about either of them. I don't (yet)
have that problem, though at my
rapidly advancing age it's probably
beginning. Nonetheless, I wear a
hat, most of the time. I consider
myself fortunate, in that regard, in
the same way, say, James Taylor,
the singer, was unfortunate to
have hit fame with a wonderful,
strong head of hair and be fully
publicized in that look, and then
by age 28 have it all gone. It put
him in cowboy hats for the rest
of his days. For me, not much
caring, I guess I jumped the gun
and put a hat on my mane, while
it's yet there. Go figure.
-
Unlike, say, land-line telephones,
hats sort of come in and out of
style. The telephone, of that nature,
once gone, is gone. I don't foresee
a resurgence of retro-phone landline
aficionados on the horizon. The
hat is another matter  -  like all
those fake blues-guys who append
a 'Slim' to their name and think
that does it, their hipness can be
re-determined at most any date,
and come back into hip-fashion.
Take that, Harpo-Slim, Texas-Slim,
Bayonne-Slim, Hurtin'-Slim, and,
probably, Baldy-Slim too. I'm
waiting for some huge, obese guy
to take the stage as Fatty-Slim.
(Actually, I do seem to remember
there being a Fat-Boy Slim already,
back in the nineties maybe).
-
When I was little, in Avenel, most
things stayed pretty stable. Or at
least, overlooked. The sound and
the timbre of those days was slow
and easy  -  it hadn't yet gotten 
jazzed up to the staccato-level
of what was soon to come. It may,
of course, have just been my age.
Any of those 17 year old guys with
cars and girlfriends might have
been feeling an entirely different
current, and, as well, any of our
parents and grandparents, in
the same way, were still living 
other lives with their own 
rhythms and patterns. There
was no way of (me) knowing. A
lot of it defied my understanding.
There was this one guy, name
doesn't matter, who accused me,
out of the blue, of stealing his
'Baby Moon' hubcaps, from off
his Chevy. Down at the Rt. One
end of Inman, where the road 
curves and goes under the bridge,
there used to  be a flat, level,
playing field (it's gone now,
since they widened Rt. One
the bridge overpass, moving
the abutments over onto what 
once was our football field).
Anyway, The Loop Inn now
sits where there used to be a
gravel lot where guys parked
and worked on their cars, and
beyond that there was an old
auto-body shop. He had his
Chevy parked there, and came
back to find the hubcaps gone.
For whatever reason, I was the
culprit, in his mind. It brought
in cops and interrogation and
paper reports and all. Nothing
ever came of it, and I certainly
hadn't stolen his Baby Moons
nor did I have any use for them.
The whole scene was a quizzical
thing for me  -  how randomly
things can go down.  It got me
to start noticing about people,
how anybody can be what they
are but along the way they really
do pick up traits of others. By
adulthood, no one is really pure 
anymore  -  there are influences
of this or that, person or habit,
that get adopted as personalities
grow and change, absorbing the
influences of others. The sneaked
smoke, the person who never
cursed, beginning to sneak one
or two in, changes in attitude 
and slight variations in poise 
and demeanor. I got to be like
a chemical-detective on that
stuff. It's all unspoken. Yeah  - 
you can't just go around saying,
'Freddie, what the Hell's gotten
into you?' Maybe I myself did
appear as a likely car-thief
to this guy. Funny.
-
I used to just go about my own
stuff  -  mostly by bicycle  -  
while my mad father was always
hard at work, pounding away
at something  -  building that
major picket fence thing I've
written off before, as if his 
60x100 foot lot was a major
Texas ranch he had to claim 
and corral; digging out by 
hand that cellar entrance, 
cinder-blocking it, building 
the stairs and fitting in the
metal swing doors and all; and
then, on his own, extending 
the house  -  building the base
blocks, cement and flooring,
and then stud work and all 
the rest (I helped as I could,
between Little League stints 
and the rest of my open time).
I was just a jerk kid with nothing
but time, while he worked 5,
sometimes 6, days a week, and
still fit all this crap in. A true
project-maven he was. Oh, I forgot,
has also made 4 rooms and a bath
out of the upstairs attic space.Then
he always had a painting-the-house
project going on  - a rotational 
basis of upkeep that he kept well
scheduled. Often seen way up,
on a ladder. Until one day it
was all chucked for aluminum 
siding. Like most everyone else.
-
Somehow I'd gotten born into that
mix, but I have to admit, to this
day, little of that blood was ever
in my veins. I had none of that
project or physical drive. Mine 
was all elsewhere   -  air-clouds,
imaginings, and dreams. How I
survived, I don't know. 'A' seemed
always followed by 'B'  - until it
was followed by 'C,' because I
said so. That's how it all seemed
to me, and all the rest was bullshit,
scrimmage, false play with enormous,
dumb, and mute, football pylons. No
one ever really 'stopped' me, but at
the same time, I was never anyone's
dream of the perfect son. I still
harbor a lot of that within me  -  
probably composed of guilt, anxiety,
anger and regret. Horrible ball of
wax that all is, Sisyphus, but I still
need to push it up the hill and have
 it roll down and begin all over. Just
to prove a point. What the hell kind
of life has this been anyway?
-
Sometimes I figure what can be
said will be said but what has to
be said never gets said. And therein
lies the problem of this life : passing
strange  -  like mimes, we run about
each other in some pantomime of
distraction. A distraction that we keep
producing in the hopes that it will
continue to deter each of us from the
real matters at hand. If life then isn't
absurd, we make it so by overlooking
the answers. I'd say. What if I told you
that on the branches of every tree
resided angels watching over us and
helping us produce this Life. You'd laugh.
Of course; but you go ahead believing
angels announced your Savior's conception
and birth? That they heralded his death
and resurrection? That the numerous
and momentous moments of all
conscious civilization have, in turn, 
 been heralded by such? And you'll 
even stand around like idiots
singing 'Hark, the Herald Angels
Sing....' Yeah. OK. If you don't believe
in these things, why do you do them?
You think you can get by with just
faking a Life? For yourself and others?
Imparting that fakery into your own
children friends and family? All
things are good, in the same way
that all things are bad.
-
What if I told you that these
things on trees are NOT angels 
but coils and helixes instead, and 
that they are the very same shapes 
of the determinants of Life that you
so revere and scientifically respect
(until you kill it) as RNA and DNA 
helixes? What if I brought you to a
oneness, a momentary 'now' process of
being? Would you believe in that and
get off your butts and do something
about your world? Build that strong
fence around your imaginary ranch,
and keep out, or slay, the enemy?
Put your hat on : and walk away.



No comments: