Sunday, December 23, 2018

11,417. RUDIMENTS, pt. 542

RUDIMENTS, pt. 542
('pass me that cup of quiet')
I always wondered what
'Cup of Joe' meant when
used about coffee. I've
heard 'mud,' and 'gunk,'
and they were always
understandable; but I
never got it about the
'Joe' thing. Just today
I read, in some material
about WWI and Wilson,
that there was this guy,
the tee-totaling Secretary
Of the Navy, named
Josephus Daniels, who
objected to alcohol on
ships, and ordered that
coffee be served instead.
Recruits grumbled about
their 'Cup of Josephus,'
which later became today's
'Cup a' Joe.' Well, one
mystery solved, a'fore
I pass on.
-
I sort of lost my own edge
for coffee sometime ago  - 
still I drink it but with little
care. It's all mostly about 
price; I little care really 
for the 'roast' or the 'blend.' 
That's the big marketing 
now, and I frankly think 
it has blindsided all else 
with a particular level of 
BS. They should maybe 
have a BS Blend, which 
could sell well with the
right advertising pomp. 
Even I, alas, have my
limits on what I will pay
for hot water that dribbles
through some beans.
-
The thing about NYC 
coffee-shops, besides I 
mean their ubiquity, is
how they each somehow 
put together their own 
particular aesthetics and
ambiance, which play 
off better for the owners 
and workers than for 
the denizens of said 
'roastery' or cafe. You 
go into Birch or Joe, 
to use two simple 
examples, and it's
already pretty scary. 
I discount here the 
mob-affront atmospherics
of Starbucks, but they're 
all blooms off the same 
plant. Less the alcohol, 
Leopold and Stephen,
we could find much in 
common with any corner 
grog-house. The thing is,
for the workers, they end
up appearing as nothing
more than prettified and
internalized sweatshops.
No one seems truly 'happy,'
though they each go about
their trendified work with
the correct aplomb. Pretty
girls are pretty girls; and 
the perfectly capitalized
menfolk, as well, color
nicely the scene. (BUT - let
me interject - give it up some
on the tattoos, OK. I don't
want to have read you; I just
want a cup of your brew. Or,
as they say in show business,
'Break a leg!'). The noise level 
in the best of them is perfect; 
that is, non-existent. However,
I've seen some already
prostituted by on-wall
televisions. Wrong move,
big daddy. Way wrong.
Bars did that to themselves 
30 years ago, and it ruined
everything. Please, coffee
shops, don't even think of it.
-
Whenever I try sleeping, I
want to stay awake, and then 
once I'm sleeping I never
want to get up. It's quite
paradoxical, and when you
set yourself to thinking of
the gains, or not, of sleep,
and dream, it certainly puts
you to wondering. That's a
bit like the paradox of a cafe
or coffee shop : once you
enter  -  if it's right  -  you
don't wish to leave. The
passing parade of those who
come and go ends up being
of little consequence, as long
as its not noisome bevy of
honkers or reprobates better
kept at home. That becomes
the break in the reverie, the 
nightmare which grows from
the dream. Ascertaining a 
source is useless : Ignorance? 
Poverty? Simple bad behavior?
The sorts of creeps who end
up tarnishing a place for others
hardly do deserve any musing
over, but they represent the
affront that is our society 
today.
-
When I lived at 509 e.11th,
there wasn't anything like that
around. My 10 cent coffee was
pretty much a brown water, and
handed to me by a Polish guy,
a survivor, with tattooed camp
numbers on his arm; he served, 
each morning, whatever gruel
and eggs and coffee he could
muck up, for the locals or for
the Con Ed Generating Plant
who'd would come in to wake 
up. Cafe? I don't think so; first
off, there was cigarette smoke 
everywhere. I don't think you
can that anymore. Secondly,
the little wooden, free-standing
chairs, maybe 10 or 12 of them 
at most, weren't connected to
anything, and didn't honor any
one table or place. They just
got moved around according
to the layout of that day. There
weren't any fancy catacombs
sorts strolling in or out either.
Maybe Dick Tracy could be
found there, penning his
'Crimestopper's Textbook.
(I used to love that).
-
All up and down 11th street
and the area around it, everything
was bare-bones, trim and 1960's
local. How it ever got all rolled
up into what we have today is
beyond me. Apparently the 
need did not yet exist  -  or had
not yet been ad-manufactured 
into a 'need'  -  for fancified 
versions of the most ordinary 
stuff. Perhaps that's the 
American way, now. It
all been proffered and 
thrown overboard, to 
the waste and the prime
maleficence of greed 
and pretense. I could sense,
even then, and saw, what 
was coming. It wasn't
as if the world was to be
ending, and most people liked
it  - except maybe for those
about to be sacrificed on
the altar of Vietnam for the
malfeasance of a nation about
to be BUT, at the same time,
it no longer represented in
any way any of the founding
principles of what the country
was supposed to have been 
about. That was all dead and
done for. You'd have a better
chance of maybe looking
down your best buddy's sister's
blouse than of getting any of
that back. Well, even chance, 
let's say. Some things were 
always pretty easy; others hard.
(Is that a pun, hidden in there,
or are you just happy to see me).
-
See  -  that's what writers do, 
that's how I graze. You think,
you agree, that I'm taking you
somewhere in this read, and 
then all of a sudden I've got
you by the ring in your nose
and you're being dragged off
in some other direction. It's 
the way I like it. It's how you
learn. I learned this today too  -
in doing some James Joyce
research (Ulysses). Bannon
refers to Milly Bloom, (the
daughter, not Molly) saying 
in a letter to her father,
Leopold, about there day's
work, as a photographer's
assistant, that 'We did great
biz yesterday, and all the
beef to the heels were in.'
Confusing reference, yes?
In Mullingar, (the town
where she worked), Mullingar,
heifers, and beef to the heel,
were slang terms for girls
with thick ankles. The
origination story goes: 'A
stranger, passing through
Mullingar, was so struck by
this local peculiarity in the
women, that he asked a
Mullingar girl, "May I
inquire if you wear hay
in your shoes?" She replied,
"Faith an' I do, and what
then?" The traveller said,
"Because that accounts for
the calves of your legs 
coming down to feed in it."'
-
This was, what, like 1904. The
book itself was faced with many
problems, for 'obscenity' etc. in
the older terms of its day, but no
one took umbrage at the thick
ankles thing. Curious it is, now,
to look back at all that. The sort
of nice musing that gets done in
quiet, softly-addled, clumps-of-
people, coffee shops all 
along the way.





No comments: