Wednesday, December 26, 2018

11,424. RUDIMENTS, pt. 545

RUDIMENTS, pt. 545
('hey, where you come from')
I used to buy macaroons,
somewhere down by Clinton
or Forsyth Street  -  the place
is gone now, a corner sort of
bakery. I'm not sure why I
just thought of that, but they
were really good. I'm not
even really a macaroons
sort of person, and I don't
think macaroons themselves
are particularly Jewish, but
this was a Jewish Bakery.
Not Gertel's, on Hester Street;
and not Jonah Schimmel's
on East Houston. They were
both good, and had their own
shtick, as it were, but this
was different. And don't get
me wrong  -  I didn't set out
on macaroon-buying trips; it's
just that, as I'd be up and walking
about, I'd get near the place and
then think to stop in. My friend,
Pauley, tended bar, of what it
was, at a place near there called
Lotus, or the Lotus. The Lotus
was cool. First off, it inhabited
an entire corner, at Clinton
Street and Stanton Street.
One side of it  -  same big
room  - was for sitting and
reading, books all around,
magazines, etc., and coffee,
and the other side, around a
half divide but still open and
connected, was the bar  -  where
Pauley worked. It was never
really crowded, in the times
we were there, off hours probably.
Any people I ever saw at the bar
side were high-class couples,
by dress and appearance anyway,
probably slumming an afternoon
away at a bar. Expensive date
types. Pauley was cool; short
and active. He was genial and
flip with his words; always
good stuff. There was always
a Guinness ready when I'd slink
in. He'd talk, hang about, watch
things. I did the coffee side too,
numerous times, but always ended
back over to him too, for another
Guinness  -  what we started
calling 'liquid bread.'
-
That was one clientele, let's say.
Another time, way uptown,
different spot entirely, we're
up in the east 70's, maybe
77th and Fifth, something
like that, by some French
School or French Embassy
or something. There's a nice
little Frenchy-pooh coffee shop
and crumpet place with tables
out on the street, etc. We walk
over, get a table, and walk inside
to get some coffee and whatever,
and, there's Pauley! In his apron,
at work  -  tables, coffee, etc.
It's mostly the Metropolitan
Museum of Art crowd, from
across the street and up a few
blocks. He comes over to our
table and sits a second, and I
say, 'OK, what's up? How's
this going on?' He smiles, and
says, 'It's my Sunday gig. Way
better deal, lots more money
floating around, and it's what
I do anyway. Some days I get
more here than I do in a whole
week downtown.' The guy was
living the high life, in style!
-
The mix was breathtaking.
Down on the lower east side,
I had a friend who used to live
right around there, where Pauley's
place was, and in 1978 it was all
one could do to safely arrive
home, let alone enter and
walk up the stairs to your
apartment. It was vicious
and brutal, a torrid no-man's
land for sure. As he used to
say : in New York you could
lose friends just because of
where you lived. That was
vividly true. It went, in the
same way, for uptown, for
after you passed the wealth
and the gloryland of upper
Fifth Avenue, once you
made it into the 90's,
eastside. I knew a girl, a
white girl, who lived alone,
in the higher east 90's, and
every time we parted it was
as if it was the last I'd ever
see her. Not just me, all of us.
We just felt she was doomed
and time was slowly on its
mission to her. Geography
back then operated on totally
different terms than what
anyone may think of today.
There was death and
delusion everywhere,
and the code word
was 'watch-out.'
-
Maybe only three or four
times did I think it was
over for me  -  the wrong
neighborhood, way out of
my own turf, wrong train
or stayed too long on the
train I was on. Once or
twice, it was truly dreadful  -
no man's lands of broken
glass, rubble, bricks and
abandoned buildings and
God knows what else. I
managed to survive. The
most funny part was, any
number of years back then
in any of those places the
worst things could have
happened to me, but it was
only later when, one time,
they taken over a portion
of east 11th street and faked
it up for look like Russian
immigrant lower east side
streets, ('Novy Mir Working
Man's Cafe') for the film
'Ragtime,' and I was there
on an off-day strolling
around with my camera and
stuff, and some security guys
comes flying out of his post
and says, 'Get out of here! Are
you crazy? Anybody sees you
with the camera equipment
around here, you're a dead
man. I warn you  - turn
around! Go back!' And this
was from a security guy no
less! We took heed, turned
heel, and walked off quickly.
But from that moment we
felt that anything - anyone
behind us or alongside of
us was terror. What a weird
feeling all that was until we
got the relative safety of
broader Second Ave. That
crazy guy had gotten us
way spooked!
-
Home turf, or traveling and
out, like Pauley, it mattered,
fir the return you'd get, what
areas you put the effort. Want
to die or get missed up? OK,
go there. A little less? Go there,
over that direction. Everything
was by degrees, and  -  should
you wish it  -  you could get,
in one night, all the trouble
and grief you'd normally get
in a week, there. At any forlorn
moment, one expected to hear,
'Hey, where you come from?'
-
In the 1970's era I'm speaking
of, two things mainly ran the
show  -  at the level of what
I'm speaking of anyway. Drugs,
and Sex. Men (and I speak only 
for that crustacean gender), of
the lower economic levels, 
in search of either of those
mentioned commodities, would
go to these base places, taking
life and limb in hand, as it
were, for satisfaction of their
momentary desires. A man 
with real money could 'buy' 
the services he sought in most
any, regular, higher tier,
midtown locale  -  brothel,
seedy hotel, whatever. But the
lower-tier guys, as I said,
seeking the say 25 dollar 
threshold of fun, would
actually, while in harm's way,
get themselves to such places.
Some never returned, others
were robbed blind, brutally
beaten, or simply castoff.
There would never be any
reckonings or accountability,
so it all little mattered, and
dumb is, most assuredly, dumb.
I'm probably off a little anyway, 
because there was an area, as
well, along by where is now Javits
Center, where you could get sex of
whatever sort you were after, at
even cheaper rates, if you didn't 
mind using your car. Morning after
morning, through the 70's and into
the '80's there, the God-forsaken
morning street would be littered
with used condoms.  They actually
had a name by which hey were 
referred to, but I forget it right now. 
Like 'Coney Island Whitefish,' but
that was for used condoms that
washed up on shore or littered the 
beach. A whole new meaning to 
'where you come from?'











No comments: