Friday, November 17, 2017

10,188. RUDIMENTS, pt.138

RUDIMENTS, pt. 138
(my story of alice)
Well, recollection is the key;
otherwise it becomes anarchy.
An anarchy of the mind that
takes over will simply cover
and spread over everything  -
unless it's controlled  -  the way
old people phase out, and it
just gets called a disorientation
that goes with aging. People
like that and will accept it all;
given an excuse, they can live.
I like to keep my stories in a
perfect order, written and mused
over. Steadied and in place. To
me, that's a better representation
of order.
-
One day a girl came up to me as I
was sitting on the stone wall along
Central Park West  -  that's a rich
area, big apartment homes and fancy
people with tons of dough  -  about
63rd street or so. Even back then it
was pretty ritzy; it's improved even
more now. I don't even think they
do 'apartments' there now; it's all
2.7 mill condos  -   Rock stars and
the legends of Wall Street and stage.
A few of us used to hang around
there, the area; and it was a good
place for hand-outs, passing a hat,
quarters and things, spouting poetry
aloud and things of that sort. We'd
been there for a while, and I was
just sitting there. This is a true story,
by the way, the girl was cool and I
can remember each instance of what
went on. There are lot of things I did
that, oddly enough, involve people I
only saw once or twice and then they,
and I, disappeared from each other's
radar. A few times I could have keep
things going I suppose, yeah, but
who wants to sleep with someone
only so as to keep the contact going?
(OK, OK, don't all jump up at once).
I was a young, 18 year old kid, newly
splattered on these streets of what
seemed like an international/global
world city to me. Scary. Now people
go to Belgium or Amsterdam for
a 3-day weekend, by comparison,
just to get laid. In my mental days,
there was none of that; and to speak
truthfully, it was all past my real
comprehension  -  all that politics
that went on between people was
not for me. This was a very chaste
moment. Especially for 1967/68,
when clothes were dropped at the
toss of a hat. (Or is that not 'hats
were dropped at the toss of 
clothes.' I don't know).
-
It turned out she lived, this girl
who came over, on the twelfth
floor of one of the buildings
across the way and she wasn't
real happy with either of her
parents right then or with her
family life either, and she'd
been watching down to see
what we were doing. So I ran
with that a little and said we
were a 'theater troupe' out
practicing some routines and
trying out ideas on the street.
She bought it. It was untrue
and yet it did encapsulate sort
of how we were living : the
great expanse of hippie days
covered a lot of sins. So she
started to go on about how, to
her, all we represented was
freedom and a way out, and
how she couldn't be free at all
under the rigid hand of her parents.
She was a rich kid, probably 16,
and  -  to be honest  -  I wanted
to explain to her how she probably
had it made, how she should stick
it out and take the money and run,
later, when the more grown-up
opportunities came her way  - 
family and inheritance and all
that crap.  She wouldn't have
listened, and I wouldn't have
said that either. My own thinking
had not yet 'advanced,' let's say,
even to that agreeable point.
-
I was always investigating things,
trying to learn, moving ahead. It
had, pretty much, become my life.
That September and October were
probably real high points for me; '67.
Then it rolled into Winter and the
small differences of darkness and
cold, idleness and escape, any of
that, took on  a life of its own and
kept me going really good  -  but
in October it was all still glorious.
I've always been a pretty highly-sexed
guy; I'll admit to that. I'm  human
being, in that regard, and the aspect
of human life that I've always liked
the best had to do with the feeling
that came up from the gut, the heart
and soul of being alive  -  which is a
always pretty much 'sex.' Not the doing
and the pounding and the getting
naked or any of that, that's almost
automatic by the running clock. What
I mean is the serene sense of inner
self that walks around with all this
going on, as the body entertains and
carries on with its thoughts of sex
and Nature and procreating and
passion kept only as an unspoken
undercurrent. You bring all that stuff
up  -  and out, constantly  -   and
everything turns to shit. Troubles
abound. It's all just like 'silence.' A
person knows, serenely knows, what
he or she is carrying around with them  -
you can see it in  a girl's eyes, I could,
at any time, that most high presence
of the female within  -  why else do
they bat an eye or smile, if not for
the glowing self-possession of their
own, eternal, sexuality. It's just always
present, part of the human scenery.
Guys too  -  the great grunt and roar
of their drive comes out in a million
ways, from design and cars and
buildings, and their attitude and
aggressiveness and all that. It's
the same as a great, sloppy bull elk
or something pounding through the
woods. How women control men I'll
never know. But, that's the human
condition.
-
Granted, the sex people have today is
different  - intermingled, people no
longer sure about that they even are,
or want to be, assuming it's just a 
'choice.' Those are rare moments, 
and even the crossover ones end
up with the same characteristics, 
no matter how it's played out. We're
captive to fluids and juices. And
then we die. This girl was just
entering that smoky time of life,
and I could sense that a good banging
wouldn't have done her any harm, 
but that I let go. Not my concern.
She said she'd finally gotten up the
nerve to come down and talk to us,
except there was only me left. For
better or worse (like marriage!). She
said her name was Alice, Alice Notley,
in fact  - why she even told me that
I didn't know. A rich person today
would never let out the information. 
We talked a little, and she handed me
a piece of paper and told me to read it
and she'd be right back. I asked why, 
and where she was going. She said
she was gong back upstairs to get me
some food, things to eat, and that her
father shouldn't know and she hoped 
he'd not see nor catch her, and that, 
even so, the doorman was a friend 
and he'd cover for her. Long story.
I didn't know anything about the 
doorman-living set-ups of rich people
and because of that I really didn't
follow her anyway. She went off, 
saying she'd be back with a box 
of food, and I started reading. It 
was in the format of a poem, 
but wasn't at all, just more like 
raw girl-thoughts from someone 
a little sensitive and young. I'm 
paraphrasing some, but using 
quotes, from  what I recall and 
have written down from then 
(notebooks)  -  "I wanted to tell 
you many things about my life 
and interests, writing things down, 
but every time the moment has 
conquered and come through I'm 
strangely unhappy because the 
pattern of my life is complicated 
and because my nature is 
hopelessly complicated and 
out of this to my pain and 
sorrow must grow the center 
of me, an eternally complicated 
and troublesome thing. Out of
 this my sorrow and pain must 
grow. The center of contains 
something I'm not yet sure of 
but it changes me and pushes 
me forward and I know it can 
make something from me, out 
of me, into something greater 
and better and more beautiful.  
I have a pain, a terrible, wild 
pain searching beyond what the 
world contains, infinite and 
transformed and if I don't find 
it I don't think it IS to be found. 
It's passionate love for a ghost 
sometimes, and at times it fills
me with rage and wild despair 
and at other times a peacefulness 
and love. I want to be, and just 
can't have the chance if no one 
will let me be. It's the source of 
gentleness and cruelness together..." 
There was more, but romanticism 
when written wears thin quickly, 
but, this was hers and I found it 
painfully attractive and it made 
me sad too. 
-
She came back down, with a box of
food, real food, the sort of stuff I'd
never see. There were things to be
eaten immediately, and other things 
to keep for later and other times. 
The girl knew food, for sure. So, 
what could I do? I've regretted this
moment for the remainder of my 
days, and it all haunts me like pain.
I've searched for her a million times,
but never found again. I've seen her,
as well, here and there, in others, 
girls, and all it does is hurt again. 
There really are moments that you
lose forever. What could I do? I
looked at her and said thanks, 
and said how I thought they 
were really great words from a 
young girl like her, impressive, 
and how I was happy she'd brought 
it down for me to read and that I 
wished her the best and all. And I 
let it drop. Fool that I was. I  let it 
drop. She never showed up again
and nothing more was ever heard 
from her  -  how could it have been. 
I've always wondered where she 
ended up or what happened. I've 
searched out Alice Notley names
wherever I could. On my walks, there
have been times when I've passed that
very doorway, and sat on the benches
along the walkway at the park wall.
Just to watch, thinking about the
directory there, and the doormen, 
but it was so many years ago, how 
can I even bother, even if it is all
still a raw and a live subject?
-
If I had to, and I've thought about this
a lot, I'd have a message now for her,
from then. It's maybe a little strange, but
stay with it : "Alice, I've always wondered
what happened to you.  I hope you had some
fun in your life and got to understand things
on your terms. Better anyway. I want to tell
you something I've learned, and maybe if
you've had kids, they'd learned too. It's good
kid-stuff, maybe you've even got grandkids.
Trees and lumber, and defects in timber  -  
'heart shake' is the most advanced degree of
shake, especially in old trees. First there's 
'cup' shake,  which is a natural splitting in
the interior of the tree between two of the
annular rings (which rings give you the age
of the tree), and then 'star' shake, which
occurs as fissures radiating out in several
directions, and finally 'heart' shake, which is
often found in old trees and extends from the 
pith or heart of the tree outward to its 
circumference; and there are three parts
of a tree trunk  -  pith, heartwood, and
sapwood, and bastard sawing and
quarter sawing  -  I want that to show
to you, and them, how we can change and
grow, and really do, and can become 
something  other than what we fist thought
we were, and that disappointment and
sorrow can be made over. Life really does
have its possibilities, and they can be
sometimes great or sometimes simple
but often they're the same and there's no
difference between them. So, you got that,
Alice? I hope all is well with you."
-
And then maybe I'd tell her about myself,
friends, poetry, writers, 'angel-headed hipsters
burning for the ancient heavenly connection
to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night,'
as Ginsberg put it, and how, when he got to
Heaven, Judas Iscariot was refused entrance, 
and he asked why, and they said 'Because you
betrayed our Savior for thirty pieces of silver,'
and he said, 'What! Can't anyone here take
a joke!' And then I'd mention God and darkness
and light and innocent silver eyes, and killers, 
and the ringing in my head and the tight 
winding of chains, and all my thoughts
forever. I'd end it up telling her how people
now call me Danton, which means 'The man
who churns things out,' and I would leave after 
giving her these words from a guy named Lord 
Alfred Douglas, who said, 'When in dim dreams I
trace the tangled maze of the old years that held
and fascinated me, and the sad ruling of Memory,
from which the old-rime roads and misty
time-trod ways and the timid ghosts of dead
forgotten days gather to hold their piteous talks,
chiefly my soul bemoans the lack of thee, those
lost seasons empty of they praise'; and as I left
I would shout out  -  'A tree is like a man, Alice,
remember that, and once arrived at maturity
the heartwood occupies the largest part, and the
sapwood is firm and elastic, and it takes
threescore years and ten to arrive at
maturity and it's useless after a hundred!
Bye Bye, Alice!' And that would be
my story of Alice.




No comments: