Tuesday, November 28, 2017

10,227. RUDIMENTS, pt. 149

RUDIMENTS, pt. 149
Making Cars
I had a teacher in second grade, 
(I do remember that), Mrs. Schur, 
who cryptically wrote, as a comment, 
on one of my report cards  - second
grade, mind you  -  that 'Gary has 
a problem with questions?' My 
parents tried, in their jumbled way, 
to tell me that was of concern and 
something I should work on (?), 
but no one ever told me what it 
meant  -  like some adult-talk
teacher-lingo, did it mean to say 
I was unable to understand a 
question mark? Didn't know if
something WAS a question?
Wasn't able to answer a question?
Or asked too many questions?
It was all too confusing to me, 
all these foolish adults looking 
back at me with their frizzled
comments. I felt  -  even at that
young age  -  that none of them 
knew what they were talking 
about, ever, and that mostly 
they just role-played these 
really boring character acts. 
I still had a year to go before 
getting conked with that train, 
so I guess I can't blame that. I 
don't know what adults make 
of kids, these days, but back 
then it wasn't much to go on. 
Everything was ordered and 
straight  -  row after row of do's 
and deeds to do. The pleasure 
principle had been left out 
of living. Poor kids. Poor me.
-
I decided, on my own, that 
what she meant was the last 
one I listed up above  - that 
I asked too many questions. 
And I probably did, but I never 
stopped after that either. It 
became almost a spiteful point
of pride from that point. It 
seemed  all I ever got were 
answers to questions I hadn't 
asked, but which conveniently
fit the 'question' they would have 
had me ask instead. I still see a 
lot of that in modern-day junk 
too  -  press-conferences and 
all those political mumbo-jumbo 
confabs where they're all trying 
to impress each other by their 
depressed impression of impressing. 
Go figure that one out, and tell 
it to Mrs. Schur. Just don't 'ask'
about it. Another thing, two things 
actually, that I notice now: the first 
is, back in Avenel School 4&5  - 
my most early educations  -  how 
in actuality, most all of teachers 
were Jewish. I think about it now  
- Schur, Stein, Artym, Roloff, 
Levine, Mudrack, Coyne,Burse, 
to name just a first few  -  and I 
understand how that produces 
a slow, plodding, utterly 
conventional, customary and
conservative education, even 
for little kids. No wonder I had 
problems with questions  -  that 
deep-seated Jewish stuff doesn't 
reflect reality very well, so why 
foist it on kids? And the other 
thing, still funny to this day, is 
how the short-man syndrome 
cracks me up (I'm not tall at all 
myself, but I don't play act the 
parts either. I'm just a bum, and
proudly look it). We had some
goofy, short teachers. It cracks 
me up with I see over-compensatory 
short-guy types go for the waddle-duck, 
muscle-bound, sharp-dresser routine.
I had a brother-in-law once in that 
speed-category, and it was pretty 
funny. But, that's all about the 
most walking knowledge most 
people escape from elementary
 school with anyway. Maybe they 
can read and so some numbers 
too. I said maybe.
-
One thing that hit me, pretty early
on though not in elementary school, 
was this idea I had  -  it was kind of 
a dense, cosmic idea, but it connected
to reality pretty well, and I guess could
have been a question, one too many, had
I uttered it. I was curious how, like as,
say, my father was driving along, he'd
a turn signal on, to signal an intention
of turning, and that would produce the
clicking noise of the signal relay. And
outside of the noise of that signal,
the oncoming driver or the driver 
behind, would get the message, see
the blinking light, etc., and the human
mind would factor all that into a recognition
pattern and allow and accept that 'turn.'
It was all unspoken, but it worked. I
could never understand why the
human wasn't equipped as well, in
that way : picture how, when you see
someone, gazes meet, whatever, along
the way, anywhere, how greatly
different and satisfying, in its way,
for some palpable sound to be
generated, acknowledging a kinship,
or some sort of 'kindred' moment.
Why must we go about our days
in that doleful silence of not being
able or willing to express to others 
what we felt? At the level, I mean,
a deep and almost spiritual, level.
Not like 'yeah, you're a jerk,' or
anything like that. I mean instead 
the interior freight of our intuitive
innards. There are plenty of those
connections around us. Because 
we remain blind (or deaf, in this 
context), our moments, and so 
many lives, get screwed up. I
think it would be so cool, a world
where all those noises resounded.
And I bet we'd have a lot more
peace and happiness too.
-
And lastly, another thing I'd ask 
about, to myself, and anywhere 
else but never getting an explanation, 
was on the subject of what's been 
called 'Evolution.' Stuff like that 
just doesn't really exist  - I'd ask, 
of those people who say Mankind 
evolved from fish in the sea, aquatic 
creatures, crawling up as legs 
were developed and fins and 
gills replaced and developed 
into legs and arms and lungs, 
and eyes took proportion and 
all that. Sitting down to eat, 
when I ate fish, it was white 
meat, fish, and flaky, and broke 
apart to the fork and all. Whereas 
meat was meat  -  a hunk, sinuous, 
unified. How then, and when, 
and by what means did that 
changeover occur? All I ever 
was told was that the fish aspect 
breathed with gills and therefore 
oxygen permeated everything, 
producing a whiter, lighter, 
flakier 'version' of the 'meat' 
matter of fish  -  so that in 
essence they were both pretty 
much different versions of the 
same thing. Yeah, right. I 
wanted to say that I detected 
a magic hand here that they 
may have been overlooking 
or avoiding. But I never did; 
too much to ask. Got a
problem with that?


No comments: