Wednesday, November 15, 2017

10,177. THE PENSION PLAN

THE PENSION PLAN
Chevette Holmay...with such an 
unlikely name as that he said 
'I think all the world is always 
laughing at me,' and I wanted 
to believe him, say that's true. 
Maybe. What can you do?
-
We were sitting at El Rocco 
Cantina, which had been his 
choice. Just another 9th street 
dump with Spanish food. I
guess OK. Down here, this
part of the east Village, 6th
Street is all Indian cuisine, 
and 9th street starts up 
Mexican and Spanish. 
-
Those are the streets, mind you;
along the avenues, A, 1st, 2nd,
it's all mixed. You can get most
anything, and drink yourself to
death doing it. That's good too.
-
One time, when my son was 
about 15, I took him and two 
friends,  along 6th street to one 
of the Indian places. It was all 
new then, about 1986, to the kids. 
Anything past a hot dog and soda 
was exotic cuisine. Anyway, my 
son barfed all over everything. 
Like right in the middle of a
sentence, just talking. Boy, that
sucked a whole lot, right then.
-
I told Chevette, I said, 'Talk
about getting laughed at, man
you should have seen that scene.'
He went wild with giggles.


No comments: