Saturday, November 25, 2017

10,216. RUDIMENTS, pt. 146

RUDIMENTS, pt. 146
Making Cars
I never understood how, from the
seminary vantage point anyway, they
got so mixed up in caring for secular
things. The fact, for instance, that
John F. Kennedy was (supposedly)
a Roman Catholic  -  even though
we know now his Papal staff was
actually schmutzing into whatever
he could find, which isn't exactly
so Roman Catholic. Or is it?  - 
made him, in an instant, some weird
kind of secular saint, or a version of
it anyway. When he was killed, the
whole place sort of went into lock-down.
In a way that only Catholics could do.
Or pretend to do. I remember I was in
the library, sitting around, and one of
the padres came in and made the grim
announcement, and then the next one,
that the President was dead. In the
interim we were all made to drop
whatever we were doing and get to
our knees, and, in place, everyone
started praying. In the library anyway,
the 20 or 30 people there. Around the
rest of the place, I was told, the same
thing happened. Even, eventually, the
sports fields and outdoor activities.
Each area had someone in it, leading.
I guess it was an understandable
reaction, but I connected it somehow
to my personal 'disconnect' between
reality and society, which had begun
growing on me, or within me. I simply
found myself unable to be concerned,
or care. What matter would any event
of that nature have if I was to carry to
its determined ends the sort of life I
was supposedly selecting by being
there? No to be a town crier, or a
volunteer sunshine-booster and a
soul-angel only. I thought this was
to be about remaining separate and
singular from all that stuff. I remember
the next day, or whenever it was,
they had a TV (small, grainy, black
and white) in one of the rooms and
as I (we) watched, a group of about
10 or 12 of us in a clump, as this Lee
Harvey Oswald guy (the suspect then)
who'd 'killed' the President, was led
through a basement corridor. I was
transfixed as I saw this arm and hand
thrust out from the scrim of reporters
and officers in that police dept. basement
or whatever the corridor was they
were walking him through  -  and he
got blasted, shot, right in the gut, on
national TV. He went down and never
got up. The killer, dead! And the strange
guy who did it, Jack Ruby, a nightclub
owner with a string of hookers and
babes working for him, somehow
allowed in, to the basement walkway,
and with a gun? So cool. THAT part
of this strange drama transfixed me.
The heck with the rest. Somehow 
no one in the seminary ever spoke 
about that one, or those two. I was
led to imagine somehow that by
whatever designated criteria we were
to be playing by, neither Jack Ruby
nor Lee Harvey Oswald merited our,
or the same, attention. At about that
point I knew I was on to a scam here;
something maybe about the collection
basket and maybe even the same kind
of crap Martin Luther was wailing
about 450 years previous. The more
things change, the more they stay the
same. I can also remember, for the
next thirty or so years, really rooting
for Marina Oswald, Lee Harvey's
not so bad looking and interesting-
looking too, wife, and I often 
stopped to hear or read what she
had to say, whenever I'd see 
something -   long after the 
assassination. I always felt something 
was up, she was on to more knowledge 
then we were supposed to know about, 
and the entire thing stunk; no matter 
who got what prayers, which had 
obviously been ineffectual anyway, 
except for their propagandistic
value. It all just led me, a young 
seminarian, to start figuring I'd 
be playing for the wrong team, 
when I came right down to it.
-
There's nothing anyone can 
do about things like that  -  
none of it is Science; it's all 
rather just the sorts of things 
which are drummed into your 
head. Every sixth grader, a 
month later could probably have
retold  -  properly and with all the 
accepted 'details'  -  what had all 
just transpired. I was always 
suspecting things. And I still do.
-
Back then there wasn't any of 
that fast-food swarm of little 
eateries everywhere and people
lined up in their cars at drive-up 
windows shouting their endless 
orders into the faces of hamburger 
clowns or French-fry witches. 
When that bus which I mentioned
previously used to run through the 
countryside down there, it was: 
town, big blank space, town, big 
blank space, and town and space 
again. I go there now and it's all 
one vast, interconnected horrendous 
swarm of one constant thing after the 
other  -  plaza, eateries, auto stuff, 
gigantic shopping plazas and malls, 
300 acres at a time. Redundant. 
One stupid same thing after another,
each re-doing what their competitor 
does 500 yards away. The expectation 
is that a person will 'drive' the distance 
necessary (500 yds?) to select their 
proper choice of well thought-out 
sales selections. Like Hell they will. 
They just gorge, consume and drive  
- probably no one walks anywhere, 
unless maybe it's yet back to their car 
again. Have you ever looked at the 
size of people lately? Corn-fed, 
bulbous-assed steers and heifers 
is all I see, guys worse than the 
girls, mostly. How can you run a 
country off a people that make such 
lame life-decisions? Taco Bell rotundas 
to Hippy Harry's Hamburger Hankerin' 
(that's a rare entrepreneurial independent 
food joint. You don't see that much 
anymore either). Those are the same 
people who get courted to go into 
voting booths, make momentous 
choices, and direct the fortunes 
and fates of millions by their 
selections of the varied goons 
to run things. (If you take the 
word 'run' and just add an 'I', 
which is for everyone, you 
get 'ruin'). Get enough 'ruins,'
and you get 'ruination,' (which
is a pun, yeah, with the word
'nation')...


No comments: