Monday, November 6, 2017

10,147. DICTATUM BENEFICIO

DICTATUM BENEFICIO
(long-term memory fade)
Brown walls can't make for a blue day;
skip to my Lou, my darling. I was
two hundred and fifty feet away and
heard that piano playing : something 
sad by Stephen Foster on the side of
this cemetery hill. No one else seemed
to notice (it was only myself, maybe 
three others, walking off the other hill).
The cemetery of old St. Peter's, with the
harbor gunshots in its brick. How do we
memorialize death and destruction, oh
please now, tell me anew. I've forgotten
so many things.
-
When I was fourteen, I wore a cassock
and an alb. Soon enough, all that turned
into a barge-load of turtles and slowly slunk
away  -  I became free again, to dance with
my dreams and dream while I danced. No
one ever tells you the real world stinks, and
people don't give you a chance, and all dangers
lurk for the unwitting, and pain hurts and
butterflies can't sing, and what you get
doesn't mean a thing. The first few times
I saw a girl naked, it was enough to make
me die  -  and then enough to make ME
sing, forget the butterflies, and now
I forget, as I said, most everything.
So that's the way this fat world rotates,
spinning around on its rounded side to
just turn and turn again. The repeat pattern 
gets delicious, and then it fades. Ask any
old-timer what he remembers best : he
won't remember and forgets the rest.

No comments: