Tuesday, November 21, 2017

10,201 RUDIMENTS, pt. 142

RUDIMENTS, pt 142
Making Cars
I don't remember anything about
getting hit by that train. I can
maybe tell myself, in dark
moments, with my eyes closed
and an almost seance-like try
at pure recollection, that I do
remember the noise, the sound,
the almost textured feel of it as
it happened. Yes. Remember, it
was while I was inside a car, so
there was probably a lot of smash,
crash, and crumble. Twisted metal
and glass. My part of the car just
kept going, taken down the tracks
by the rumbling freight some 180
feet until it was able to fully stop.
My mother's, driver-portion, of the
car stayed pretty much where it had
been. She was in-place and stunned.
I was a fair ways off and twisted up
near to death. My very own, 8-yr old's
version, blood-wedding, as it were.
It's funny now how the all those
portions of a person's life can
be looked back at long after, in
a sort of recollection, and viewed
in any of ten different ways. There's
no one who can correct you or
tell you different. We go on. It's
like extruded plastic, whatever
gets squished in later gets mushed
out, in whatever shape you've set
up for the receiving end. My story
alone. If I were to tell myself, or say
here, that I clearly remember this,
or that, part of that crash, I'd be
lying. The whole thing probably
took, what, less than two minutes
for sure  -  and that's probably too
long for what happened  -  and for
the rest of my days, 60 years gone
now, I try to remember? What sense
is that, on Life's part? Obviously it
all has to be a disappointment that  -
if life is so momentous  -  a thing like
that can simply be forgotten. And
then I realize I remember, a lot.
-
I used to think of stuff like that often.
Down on e4th street is a cavernous
bar type place, called Jonathan Swift's
Hibernian Lounge  -  that's the official
name anyway. No one calls it that; it's
just referred to mostly as Swift's. It's
just off the Bowery, across from a
place called 'Merchant's House,'
which is an intact, and kept that way,
home of some pretty 'well-off ' merchant
from about 1850 or something. I think
the name is Treadwell. There were
others just like it around it, but over
the years they'd gotten all derelict
and leaning and weakened and were
eventually all taken down. Only this
Treadwell place still stands, and they
charge you about 10 or 12 bucks to
go in. I only went once, never really
having that kind of money to pay
just to go in some old guy's old
house (of course, thinking nothing
at the same time of dropping three
or four times that amount in a
session of hours at Swift's across
the street. One was a 'museum'
and the other was real life). I have
nothing against seeing how people
in the past lived, and this was a
good one, but I still more than
that treasured, as I thought back,
those older, leaning and twisting
ones which had been torn down.
I found much more interest, over
the years, in watching them slowly
deteriorate, even for a while get
taken over by squatters and
drug-den types. To me, that's
where the interest was; as if I
was glad to see the gears meshing
as the 'old' and the 'new' were
slammed together -   the 'new'
(the present) of course winning
out, and the 'old' getting taken away.
That's what history is and it makes
better sense to me than does the
paying and the stepping into the
Treadwell house to be greeted by
two old volunteer women in period
costume pretending, or telling
me were the eggs and ham-hocks
where kept. And the other funny
thing was, for all that high-toned
futzy New York City stuff, these
ladies (to their chagrin had I told
them) were acting like no more than
some suburban geek-town denizens.
As I said I went in once, just to see,
and it was, yes fascinating. But anything
in there that fascinated me was glossed
over by them as if it were the plague
itself. Especially in the oldest portions
of the 'kitchen' as they called it. Using
that word, in places such as this was,
simply doesn't work. They're not really
'kitchens' at all, more like workshops
and prep-shops for food preparation.
The ladies act as if every corner had
a small supermarket where these happy
Treadwell folk could get their prepared
and well-cleaned foods and come home
to heat them up and dine. But, no  - 
nice try Mama Cass. These had to be
more like science-kitchen workshops.
There were tool racks, nooks and
crannies for hooks and saws and stuff,
utensils, and buckets too. Absolutely
no connection to the present day at all.
And to further add bafflement, all this
work was done for them by others.
Their 'staff.'  Usually, at first, the
indentured blacks, and later replaced
by immigrant Irish, who got like 40
cents a week to do all that privy work.
All of that is mostly glossed over too 
-  shouldn't someone at least be able
to memorialize, by the re-telling,
what really went on? Instead, they
waltz you through the house, and
down a few stairs to the outdoor
area, the 'garden, behind the house,
to point out to you the nice rows
of floral and growing stuff where
the family lounged, on nice Summer
days. Again neglecting to tell you
that all the work and container
gardening, etc., was being done
and cared for by 'household staff.'
Damn. Must be nice.
-
I of course never asked for my money
back. I just high-tailed it back across the
street and said to Bernadette (real name,
real Irish girl, accent and all), 'Bernadette,
another Guinness.' She's gone now  -  last
I knew Josephine had run off with some
guy from around there and they were
living happily  -  in Hawaii, of all places.
-
What I'm saying, I guess, is that all these
memories and versions of 'Life' as we each
tell and re-tell it, is pretty selective, or ends
up being that way. It's what you 'remember,'
more than anything else. Like me with the
train. I swear I can hear the noise and the
crash, and in that sound, deep within me,
I can re-live the moment, the crush and the
toss of the very engine that squished me
up. I can probably recollect the smell of
blood and iron as it splashed all over me.
But, I have to tell (ask) myself  -  just as in the
Treadwell house  -   what's real, and what's
true, and what ever happened and what
didn't anyway?



No comments: