Thursday, November 23, 2017

10,204. THE WAITER WAS A DOCTOR

THE WAITER WAS A DOCTOR
Or also a doctor, I guess. Doing two
things can be confusing. I'm riding the
highway to Ithaca, and that old barn tells
me to chew Red Man. It's a strange delay,
this thinking about today and the old, the
moment, of farmers chewing tobacco
while going about their tasks. 'Gone home
to Mama, with a cancer of the jaw.' They
probably heard that said a hundred times
and more. Down the country town, Doc
Fraddel never wavered : 'I told these guys
a thousand times what not to do but no 
one listens. Then they come to me and
want my help. When it's God-Damn too
late.' He put his cup of cider down on
the table-top. 'Well, no matter now.
Happy Thanksgiving to you.' That was
our greeting, and our close as well. He
shut the door and just walked off.

No comments: